Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went shopping today, target was a black 04 A4 with 15k miles. Car is in mint condition all around test drove it and of course the grin effect kicked in inside, of course never show any emotion to the salesman. So the aksing price is $24,995 so I figure let me see what I get for my trade which is the one thing that is keeping me from really getting into a gto in the first place cause you know how trade-ins get nothing especially for my vehicle a 2000 silverdo 1500 with nice mods including 3" suspension lift and a number of other goodies. I owe $13 the truck has 73k miles and is mint as can be. I know with all thats done to it I can sell it privately for a little over this but, of course wanting a GTO so bad I will be content with dealer at least paying it off or pretty close. The dealer comes back with $9000.00 no surprise I make like a I am bailing out of there then goes NO WAIT!!! lets see what we can do better, comes back with $12000 inside I am like better than I thought so then I proceed to haggle on the vehicle price but to my surprise no budgeing at all so I said let me think about it and then bailed. I will give another crack at it this week at another dealer yellow gto with 9k miles. MY truck goes in the autotrader this week and will try that route, its more a patience thing than anything and I dont have any. I just want that goat so bad it hurts and believe it or not my truck has well over 300hp and I still need that goat baby:eek: Here are some pics of my truck let me know what you guys think.

http://www.acwebnet.com/chevy/chevy1.jpg
http://www.acwebnet.com/chevy/chevy2.jpg
http://www.acwebnet.com/chevy/chevy3.jpg
http://www.acwebnet.com/chevy/chevy4.jpg

·
Registered
454 Posts
Thats a sweet looking truck....tell them they need to pay it off before you can consider the GTO,Yea the price on the goat is a bit high but if they pay off your truck you can't expect them to give the car away ...anyway good luck I hope you get one soon...you will love it!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks jeffs386, I love my truck it has balls its got the 5.3 vortec with nice edlebrock shorties, and flowmaster exhaust along with other mods. I just made the mistake of test driving various GTO's from 04's - 06's and now I am hooked I kept trying to talk myself out of it but its too late. This board is awesome thanks for everyones feedback keep em coming.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It depends what part of the country your are in, but I think everyone is in agreement that $24k is probably a little high for a used '04 with 15k miles. The prices in the East appear to be a lot more soft than they are out here in the West. I suspect is has to do with the winter.

Used '04s here in the Bay Area, CA are going for $23-$26k with '05s going for $28-$29k if you can find one. I picked up my '04 new off the dealer's lot in early December for $25k. Most will say I paid too much, but I priced out new and used '04s and '05s in a 200 mile radius and that was the best I could do. I went in expecting to pay low $20s. It's all about what your market will bear.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Verdoro 68 said:
It depends what part of the country your are in, but I think everyone is in agreement that $24k is probably a little high for a used '04 with 15k miles. The prices in the East appear to be a lot more soft than they are out here in the West. I suspect is has to do with the winter.

Used '04s here in the Bay Area, CA are going for $23-$26k with '05s going for $28-$29k if you can find one. I picked up my '04 new off the dealer's lot in early December for $25k. Most will say I paid too much, but I priced out new and used '04s and '05s in a 200 mile radius and that was the best I could do. I went in expecting to pay low $20s. It's all about what your market will bear.
Nope you are absolutley right sir. Geographics is extremely important when it comes to pricing. Although I thought west coast was lower than us.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Back around Thanksgiving, I found a dealer in Missouri, had a brand new, untitled '04 auto, had the SLP '05 hood painted and installed, still had the original hood, and also had the autocross grills and spoiler (uninstalled) that went with it. His price was less than you're looking at used.

I nearly jumped on it, but decided just too long a haul, and I really wanted a 6speed.

Only other thing I could suggest (while you're looking) is to keep the trade out of the picture until you negotiate the price for the car.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
noz34me said:
Back around Thanksgiving, I found a dealer in Missouri, had a brand new, untitled '04 auto, had the SLP '05 hood painted and installed, still had the original hood, and also had the autocross grills and spoiler (uninstalled) that went with it. His price was less than you're looking at used.

I nearly jumped on it, but decided just too long a haul, and I really wanted a 6speed.

Only other thing I could suggest (while you're looking) is to keep the trade out of the picture until you negotiate the price for the car.
that is really disturbing that they still have a 04. Based on my floorplan that car would have cost me $6800 to be on my lot. `

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
dealernut said:
that is really disturbing that they still have a 04. Based on my floorplan that car would have cost me $6800 to be on my lot. `
Yeah, I guess you just have to take it in the shorts on a deal like that; maybe they make tons of money on trucks out there tho- - -

I thought I had read on here not too long ago that some '04's still existed new in the Chicago area- -may have been the LS2 forum.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
noz34me said:
Yeah, I guess you just have to take it in the shorts on a deal like that; maybe they make tons of money on trucks out there tho- - -

I thought I had read on here not too long ago that some '04's still existed new in the Chicago area- -may have been the LS2 forum.

that is disturbing to have a car that long. I could not imagine having a car last that long. I had an 04 denali for 298 days and it felt like an eternity.

·
Registered
116 Posts
dealernut said:
Nope you are absolutley right sir. Geographics is extremely important when it comes to pricing. Although I thought west coast was lower than us.
Not according to my research. It was frustrating because I could have bought a new '04 in the midwest or east for $22k easy. My theory is that winter in the midwest and on the East coast is a lot more harsh than it is out here so the dealers would rather sell cars than have them covered in snow. I guess $3k is the price I paid for not being willing to deal online and hire a transport to bring a car back West.

The good news is I got a Pulse Red car with chrome wheels and SAP grilles, so that's worth a little something. All said and done, even with the '05 conversion I did, I'm still a few grand under the best deal I could find on an '05.

FYI, to find leftover new '04s still on dealer's lots run this search at Pontiac.com. Click on the link then simply change the postalCode variable to your zip code (it's set to mine right now). It's at the very end of the URL. Pontiac | Vehicle Locator

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.