Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about removing my air filter the next time I run my car at my local 1/8 mile track. Any opinions on this? It is set in a woodsy area with little sand. I have a cold air in take tube with a cone style filter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Look at most of the high dollar drag cars they dont run a filter i dont see a problem at the track in the right conditions but it will take a pass or two for your computer to calibrate for the differance thats just my 2 cents

·
Registered
439 Posts
No reason to, dyno's show it really doesn't help one way or the other, plus you're just asking for something to hit your MAF. I'd sacrifice the 0.000001 ET change for a working MAF.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
Hear what you're saying -- but high dollar drag cars are torn down between every round -- plus their engines are being replaced every few weeks. It's a small risk to run without one -- but not one I'm willing to take.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
In some cases a filter straightens the air and you may lose hp by removing it. The flow rate difference between no air filter and a properly sized air filter is next to nothing.

Your gains are minimal and the risk is great.

I always keep a brand new air filter as a spare. When I go to the track I throw in the new air filter. When I'm done running I take it back out. When the "daily driver" air filter gets dirty enough, I put the race filter in and buy a new one for racing. The darn C6 has two air intakes with two filters. So I'll have 2 spares.

·
Registered
364 Posts
fergyflyer said:
Your gains are minimal and the risk is great.
:agree

I would never run my car without a filter.

Here's a suggestion for you. Put a new filter in before a night of racing. Take it out after your last run and before you drive home and shake it out over a piece of clean white paper (dirty side down) and see how much junk comes out of it. I am always appalled at how much dirt, sand, bugs, etc come out of my filter after one race (about 40 minutes of use). :cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.