Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I had a fix for the high price JHP gauge pod ($435).

The guages themselves are on Ebay and I'm guessing they'll go for ~ $100 or so.

E-mailed JHP to find out how much just the plastic shroud would be. I thought, maybe $75 or so. Aftera all, it's just a piece of molded plastic, right?

Wrong! $275 for a piece of plastic.

Soooooo- - -looks like anyway you go, the gauge pod for these beasts is going to cost around $400 unless you opt for the Mickey Mouse ears gauge pod, and aftermarket gauges.

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
CrazyAL said:
Ah, the Aeroforce Interceptor. I have one in my GTP. Very cool and handy to have, especially for a boosted car. I got one of the first batches and it pretty much just has the typical scan parameters and a basic logging function, but the newer ones has more features, like HP calculations and estimating 0-60 and 1/4 times. Enough cool stuff to make me consider sending mine in to get the new stuff added.

One thing I don't like is that the display does not like heat. Sitting in 90+ degree heat and sunlight all day in the gauge pod, when I turn the car on, the display is just a solid wash. You can't make out anything at all. After the AC has been running full blast for a while, you can start to make out stuff.

Instal is fairly simple as they'll fit in any 2 1/16" gauge pod. Just run the wire down to the OBD port under the dash and hide the wire as best you can.
At least, that's how mine is. I heard some cars need to run a separate power lead to prevent it from tripping something. I think it was a security thing and it'd wind up causing the car to not start.

edit:
old pics I've got that gives an idea of what the display does in the heat. Note: everything looks red because I held my thumb over the flash. Borrowed camera and couldn't find the stupid menu to turn off the flash. lol.

This is how it looks when it's cool.

This was after sitting in the sun all day, and driving home. It cleared up a little as the AC was working. It was probably in the 80s that day.

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Has anyone ever thought of ever making ther own ?

Maybe from metal and then get it painted carbon fiber or flat black it would look cool,and would be around 200 or less depinding on the painters price.

·
Registered
273 Posts
MJGTOWISH said:
Has anyone ever thought of ever making ther own ?

Maybe from metal and then get it painted carbon fiber or flat black it would look cool,and would be around 200 or less depinding on the painters price.
I don't know about making my own, but if you do check out 24 karat finish 37375 n. 45 lindenhurst. dose good work , lifetime warrenty. he's a good guy to know. have a 05 seirra with a 2" scrach on the rear door. he's going to take out the window strip it down , and paint the whole door for $175. plus it's good work. not just cheap.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Gpr1200r said:
I have the guage pod in my car with a couple of autometer gauges. looked good when installed but in exstreme heat the pod bubbles. I had to send mine back and get a new one and it did the same. gotta love texas heat! but otherwis it fits great and looks great once installed till the bubbling happens.:seeya:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.