1,889 Posts
gettin there.........
no spare tire to use temporarily ??
your buddies chevelle trunk ??
girlfriends 72 nova ??
25 years of gm's will fit

still thinkin wrong /Long lug nuts

watcha usin up front or the other side

pull 1 off each wheel while sittin there and put 3 on that left rear and compare shanks
itlle roll safely back n forth with 3 or 4 on each rim
temporarily

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The lugs are the same around, but the locking nut is not spec / advised by cragar. I called them and the guy was able to give me the part number for the lug nuts for that rim / nut configuration so I just ordered some replacements for all the wheels and will see if that sounds any better.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Agree that the lug nuts look long enough to bottom out before clamping the wheels in place. Unilugs are bad news anyway. Not safe, IME.
Agreed. All my research says the same. I don't drive these guys on the interstate so at least I won't be putting it on really high speed. Definitely will replace the rims eventually with some rally IIs if I can get my hands on some decent replicas.

·
Registered
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,012 Posts
Like the others, I thought the nuts were too long. Just so you know, rally twos are readily available everywhere. They are not ridiculously expensive and if you look hard enough you can probably find some original ones off of late model Grand Prix for pretty cheap

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Drat. Was really hoping for that.
Went out to inspect the rims and double check sizes, and just realized the brand new tires on the rear are mismatched width 🙃 guess I'll be tire shopping sooner than anticipated anyway. Might as well get them for Rally IIs instead.

Edit: To clarify, ones that came on the car not ones I purchased for it.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Drat. Was really hoping for that.
Went out to inspect the rims and double check sizes, and just realized the brand new tires on the rear are mismatched width 🙃 guess I'll be tire shopping sooner than anticipated anyway. Might as well get them for Rally IIs instead.
The make the Rally IIs in wider widths. Ames has them listed up to 15x10 in a chrome and light grey finish. Based on the information on Summit on their stock, there is about a month lead time and all the vendors look to drop ship the order to the mfg. I've been shopping rims as well.

BTW mismatched width could also be mismatched height. If you have a posi I'd hold off driving it until you have matching tires on the rear. Did you just get this car? Was it from a dealer? If so, I'd reach out and complain and maybe file a complaint with the state.

·
Registered
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,012 Posts
The make the Rally IIs in wider widths. Ames has them listed up to 15x10 in a chrome and light grey finish. Based on the information on Summit on their stock, there is about a month lead time and all the vendors look to drop ship the order to the mfg. I've been shopping rims as well.

BTW mismatched width could also be mismatched height. If you have a posi I'd hold off driving it until you have matching tires on the rear. Did you just get this car? Was it from a dealer? If so, I'd reach out and complain and maybe file a complaint with the state.
He's having "issues". so... yeah, no point gambling with mismatched tires

·
Registered
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,012 Posts
There are a lot of cheap 15x7 rally wheels on Amazon, Summit, Jegs, etc... But not specifically Pontiac Rally 2's. Maybe get something cheap to hold you over, or get your current wheels working properly. Car looks good with them, to me.

·
64-67 Expert
8,764 Posts
Keep in mind that if you are running mis-matched rear tires you will damage your rear end if it is a limited slip. One wheel always spinning at a different rate= clutch failure and overheating. I picked up a '66 Coronet 440 4 speed car back in '92 for cheap because the owner ran a 14" spare on the freeway (the car had 15's) and burnt up the clutches.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Yeah I talked down a 'dealer.' Said they had new tires, I did see they were new tires and didn't check the exact dims. That's on me. You're right they are absolutely different heights which no doubt is causing the leaning and perhaps even the noise with some attempting to twist more than others combined with the lock nut that may not be appropriate. Fortunately I've only put a few miles on it while I've been driving it around the neighborhood after performing some maintenance. Will keep it off the road until I can have it replaced. Yikes.

·
64-67 Expert
8,764 Posts
Yeah I talked down a 'dealer.' Said they had new tires, I did see they were new tires and didn't check the exact dims. That's on me. You're right they are absolutely different heights which no doubt is causing the leaning and perhaps even the noise with some attempting to twist more than others combined with the lock nut that may not be appropriate. Fortunately I've only put a few miles on it while I've been driving it around the neighborhood after performing some maintenance. Will keep it off the road until I can have it replaced. Yikes.
Your noise may indeed be a damaged positraction due to the tire height difference. The guy who sold me my Coronet burned it up in about 10-15 miles of driving on the highway. Doesn't take long.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I guess I have no way of knowing how much they were driven on, but I've only put about 2 miles on them at 10-15mph, and the 'dealer' said they were mounted and the vehicle wasn't driven. They are also replacing that tire so I'll find out what it looks like Thursday when I swap it out.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts