Pontiac GTO Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
My understanding is a different diameter tire on the rear is bad for any rear differential, even those that are not limited slip. I can’t remember exactly why but it’s like you’re always turning. Glad it was spotted! Any luck with the new lug nuts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey all. We're getting some sounds from the rear drivers side (and sometimes, though less significant) other wheel areas on the car. I'm not really familiar enough with the noise to troubleshoot it effectively. You guys have any pointers? Perhaps unrelated, but the rear of the car also leans left a bit lower. Shock seems to be compressed 1/4-1/2 more than the right side. Would appreciate any feedback you guys have or any pointers to help troubleshoot or resolve it. It's keeping me from taking it any further than the neighborhood as I don't really feel safe driving it around until I can figure it out. For what it's worth, it doesn't happen until we've driven about a mile or so. No sounds on startup when it's cold. Just did a full brake flush and check on the rear drums, all looked good. Just excited to take her out on the road.

Video here (sorry for the low framerate, but sound should be good enough, especially if you toggle HD): PXL 20220508 174857774 GIF | Gfycat

And a photo of the leaning: View attachment 153342
I had an issue like this on my 10 bolt years ago and the axle shaft tube twisted in the housing and the drivers side axle tube (shock mount and spring support) was twisted towards the front of the car. I don't have a measurement on how much it twisted, but my car sat the same way as yours. I had to remove the rear, then disassemble it, removing brakes, axles, etc., so it could be realigned and have the tubes welded into the housing. Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
My understanding is a different diameter tire on the rear is bad for any rear differential, even those that are not limited slip. I can’t remember exactly why but it’s like you’re always turning. Glad it was spotted! Any luck with the new lug nuts?
Ugh. Well, the car came with locking lugs as previously mentioned. Between the time it took to re mount the wheels and then do the check ride I managed to lose the damn key 😒 I should have replaced them earlier but had to order some spares. Alas, I got in contact with the company who makes them and they're shipping me a spare key - hopefully. I did realize that the lungs were also improperly installed on the car which didn't help either. I do have 20 brand new lugs just waiting to be swapped out as soon as i can get the wheel off! Monday seems to be the day so far. Will definitely follow up with the results.

I had an issue like this on my 10 bolt years ago and the axle shaft tube twisted in the housing and the drivers side axle tube (shock mount and spring support) was twisted towards the front of the car. I don't have a measurement on how much it twisted, but my car sat the same way as yours. I had to remove the rear, then disassemble it, removing brakes, axles, etc., so it could be realigned and have the tubes welded into the housing. Good luck.
Oof I really hope that's not the case here. The tire height difference is about 1.25-1.5 inches in addition to the width difference, so it may be accounting for the lean. Hoping that's the case for Monday as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
often when I loose stuff
its usually still right where I left it .............
not all the time but often ,.,
Yeah that's my concern... Is that it may have been left on the wheel so it could be anywhere a mile around the neighborhood! Would have been much easier if I had lost it in the garage but I've torn the place apart looking for it

·
Registered
1967 Lemans 1967 GTO parts car
721 Posts
I removed mine with a socket over the top of "locking " lug. I found out later that my girls had the lug key. I assume they liked the pattern it made, they were two at the time. One head ache I did not need to happen a second time. The girls kept their flower stamp. The lugs will make a nice art project or something like that.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Those oval holes should have inserts. Uni lugs were popular (sort of) because you could use the same wheel with different wheel patterns. Just change the insert. If you don't have the inserts the wheel will not tighten up to the hub.
I ran those same wheels for years and never had inserts, just sat under the wheel to lift it into place and tighten it. No wonder it was such a pain. What do these inserts look like?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I ran those same wheels for years and never had inserts, just sat under the wheel to lift it into place and tighten it. No wonder it was such a pain. What do these inserts look like?
According to the Cragar rep, there aren't any inserts for this specific rim. Only the 'correct' lugs - part number 27881-4 - like these: Cragar 27881-4 Cragar Wheel Lug Nuts | Summit Racing .

They do use the conical washer though, with an important note that the inside of the washer actually goes into the wheel opposed to facing out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Unfortunately I was missing a handful of tools to make extracting them a bit easier. It was like $15 to have a new key mailed to me so I figured I'd go the less destructive route so I don't damage the rim somehow.

In the meantime I'm replacing & touching up some minor interior details with seatbelts, door locks, and more. Speaking of, does anyone here have any diagrams / part #s for the 3pt seatbelts?

Hand Automotive design Sleeve Hood Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Are you're thinking of aftermarket 3 pt belts?

The factory shoulder belt for 66-71 GTOs was a separate assembly in addition to the lap belt. Optional for late 66, 1967 and early 68 (prior to Jan 1 '68) models.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Are you're thinking of aftermarket 3 pt belts?

The factory shoulder belt for 66-71 GTOs was a separate assembly in addition to the lap belt. Optional for late 66, 1967 and early 68 (prior to Jan 1 '68) models.
Got it! Thought that may be the case. So it would just be two buckles per seat basically?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
That's right. You should have two receiver buckles on the inside.
Awesome, thanks. Are they the same receiver (length, etc) as the lap belt? And I haven't seen any places that sell only the receiver. Guess I'd need to either find an extra set somewhere or order the full lap set and use only the receiver from it?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Awesome, thanks. Are they the same receiver (length, etc) as the lap belt? And I haven't seen any places that sell only the receiver. Guess I'd need to either find an extra set somewhere or order the full lap set and use only the receiver from it?
Mine are the same. The extra pair was in the trunk when I bought mine. I never used them until I put the bigger engine in. Now I don't feel safe driving it without them.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts