Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could you say that there is one issue, more then any other issue that is the culprit for a non start issue on these cars? I am going to guess and say that the ignition switch is up on the list.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would guess a hot starter solenoid as a main no start issue. Many replacments were done without using the heavy duty solenoids pontiac used and the exaust heat shield was often discarded. Headers agrivated the situation even more.

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
Could you say that there is one issue, more then any other issue that is the culprit for a non start issue on these cars? I am going to guess and say that the ignition switch is up on the list.
What's the symptom? Does it crank? Does it fire at all and then die?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dies

Cranks just fine. No start. Wait a while, wiggle key and steering around then it starts. I am thinking the key cylinder or BCM

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
If it's wiggling the key the cylinder would be my first guess or wiring up there. The BCM shouldn't be affected by that and a key FOB contact problem will make it fire and then die in a couple of seconds if the VATS isn't satisfied.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
key

Is the spring return for the key in the cylinder assembly or somewhere else. Seems like the key gets stick sometimes in the start position.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts