Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys/gals, I don't think I can wait much longer. Been agonizing over a color choice for @ 2-3 weeks, and since I can't decide, I'm just gonna let the local dealer's inventory narrow my choices. I've only got a couple of concerns at this point: Read a thread here about guys not able to break the tires loose during launch with their A4's. WTF, 400 ponies and torque to match, and no burnout ? How is this possible ? Slightly disconcerting, to say the least. Also, puuhleeze, no more "kill" stories involving Honda's, Mazda's, Nissan's, etc., as this has me very uneasy as I start down the aisle, about to say " I do ". Sheesh....at least throw a few 911 Carerra's, or NSX stories in there...even if you have to make them up. :) Thanks for letting me "test drive" it so to speak, by reading all your posts regarding GTO ownership. Wish me luck !

BTW, to any Midnight Blue owners out there, any buyers remorse regarding your color choice ? Only color I haven't seen in person, but I love the pics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
I totally owned this guy on a riding lawn motor yesterday. I think he even turned off the blades to get more speed. :D
Seriously, the cars are quick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
I'm not sure who can't get the tires to break loose on their auto. My 05 will shred the tires if I want to, I just don't do it very much, cuz I don't like buying tires. From 0 to about 5 mph, you punch it, the tires break loose and all hell breaks loose. I manually shifted the other day, and it even chirped second. I'm not into the "kills" thing much, I didn't buy the car to race. I will say this though, it will still snap your neck back if you punch it at 80, and gets to 120-130 so fast its silly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
GTOfreak said:
I'm not sure who can't get the tires to break loose on their auto. My 05 will shred the tires if I want to, I just don't do it very much, cuz I don't like buying tires. From 0 to about 5 mph, you punch it, the tires break loose and all hell breaks loose. I manually shifted the other day, and it even chirped second. I'm not into the "kills" thing much, I didn't buy the car to race. I will say this though, it will still snap your neck back if you punch it at 80, and gets to 120-130 so fast its silly.
YES!!!!! If that statement doesn't sell goatee on a GTO nothing will!

I only wish there were a road where I could push 120-130, at 32 with prior racing tickets I'm too scared to get nabbed at those speeds. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I actually like every color of GTO. And midnight blue would be cool, but for me and my wife the colored interiors were more important than exterior colors. Dark interiors and exteriors are tough in Florida, so it was red/red or blue/blue for us.

I was dead set on the auto until I drove the stick. But I absolutely believe that the autos could be a tenth faster. I drove several of each. The auto is just a little smoother feeling. My auto WS6 TransAm is pretty much stock with bigger/sticker tires and it barks 2nd gear anytime you punch it (and roasts from idle.) I can't imagine that these LS2 autos don't do the same. There is only 150lbs difference, and a good 50 HP to make up for it.

I will tell you that I know for a fact that my LS1 increased HP with age. Most owners will confirm that. So I expect our GTOs will pick up 5-25 HP by the time you get 15K or so on the OD.

I bought GTO 3 weeks ago, and I haven't even considered driving the TA once (and it is a pristine 30th Anniv. Pace car convertible.) The GTO gets a lot less attention, but it is an awesome car to drive. Buy it!

165,000 people will buy new Mustangs this year in the US, which means that there will be more Mustangs here in FL than GTOs in the entire US.

Take the road less traveled...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,640 Posts
goatee said:
Well guys/gals, I don't think I can wait much longer. Been agonizing over a color choice for @ 2-3 weeks, and since I can't decide, I'm just gonna let the local dealer's inventory narrow my choices. I've only got a couple of concerns at this point: Read a thread here about guys not able to break the tires loose during launch with their A4's. WTF, 400 ponies and torque to match, and no burnout ? How is this possible ? Slightly disconcerting, to say the least. Also, puuhleeze, no more "kill" stories involving Honda's, Mazda's, Nissan's, etc., as this has me very uneasy as I start down the aisle, about to say " I do ". Sheesh....at least throw a few 911 Carerra's, or NSX stories in there...even if you have to make them up. :) Thanks for letting me "test drive" it so to speak, by reading all your posts regarding GTO ownership. Wish me luck !

BTW, to any Midnight Blue owners out there, any buyers remorse regarding your color choice ? Only color I haven't seen in person, but I love the pics.
I believe in the post you're referring to, the person was talking about not being able to break the rear tires loose with traction control on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
6QTS11OZ said:
I believe in the post you're referring to, the person was talking about not being able to break the rear tires loose with traction control on.
My bad. Actually the thread I referenced was over on LS1gto.com.
However, this particular fella had problems with his car both with and without T/C engaged. Judging by the responses over there, his car was obviously the exception.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top