Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to participating in a forum, and I have a problem with fueling my 65 GTO. When it is full it blows an excessive amount of gas all over the place. I owned a 66 back in 66 and don't remember that happening back then. Is there anything I can do to stop or lessen the amount of gas blow back???

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
In '66 they didn't have the anti-pollution equipment on gas station pump hoses. These tanks are low and have a low filler....they trap air. You need to go slow and let it burp. The key here is to GO SLOW and listen....you can hear the fuel as it comes up the neck and cut fueling to let it burp.

·
Registered
217 Posts
geetee is right, but there may be another gremlin in there giving you trouble. New tank? Replaced at some time in it's life? Is it vented at the neck or does it use a vented cap? At the neck it should also have that tube/vent gig in the trunk below the latch. If it's well vented the gas should go in easy for the most part. There may be operator error too. Easy to get "conditioned" by newer cars. 2700 RPM seems like the engine is screaming, air pressure is too high in the tires because it seems low at 30-32 PSI when the daily driver takes 36 or better, reaching to the front of the seat for the adjuster, trying to use the round key to open the door locks when it's the ignition key that always did it up to about 1973. And those are just a few extras to pile on to the issues of putting in the motion lotion at the gas station. Savor the adventure of doing it the old ways.

·
Registered
373 Posts
65 fuel caps were not vented. 64 caps were vented. Maybe your car has a combo of different years with the wrong hardware.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts