Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted to make the Route 66 trip from Chicago to Santa Monica, CA or visa versa. I'm considering taking that trip when I retire, so I have no restrictions and all the time in the world to take it all in.

I have not looked on this site for pointers on the trip yet, I will, but I figured I'd ask a fresh question to get more recent data to churn through. Im sure I'll think of more q's as retirement nears...

1. Security, I don't want to come out of my hotel and see my car gone. Anyone have a suggestion on alarms or how to secure the car outside a club?
2. Any suggestions on stops or paths (tangents) along the way worth seeing or experiencing?
3. Anyone here ever completed the 2400+ mile trip?
4. I'm considering shipping the car to Santa Monica then end up in Chicago that way I only have a 6 hour ride home from there. Anyone every do that?

Thanks in advance, Dan

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Goat Roper I appreciate the info AND offer! I'll add that to my list! Dan

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
You're welcome.
There are signs along the freeways that let you know where the sections of Route 66 are.
All the areas going through Az. are well marked as you hop on and off I-40.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Considering I'll be leaving this car in the parking lot of many hotels etc... what do you guys use to protect from theft? I really don't want to walk home or try to find a flight home depending on where IT would happen. I'm assuming a modern alarm system is the best option.

Thanks in advance, Dan

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Considering I'll be leaving this car in the parking lot of many hotels etc... what do you guys use to protect from theft? I really don't want to walk home or try to find a flight home depending on where IT would happen. I'm assuming a modern alarm system is the best option.

Thanks in advance, Dan
Simple, but effective - pull the coil wire off and bring inside with you. I have a battery disconnect that I throw to cut power on my '73 Fury, but it also has an inside hood release so you would have to break a window or use one of those flat steel door lock tools to unlock the door - then unlock the hood, then figure out that I had the battery disconnect. Probably too much time to do all that and a bit obvious.

My Dad uses the slider bar that hooks to the steering wheel and brake/clutch pedal and has a key lock. Another cheap insurance anti-theft item.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks PontiacJim, "unfortunately" I have the upgraded ignition so no coil to steal a wire from... I'll have to use another trick and something else to stop a would be thief. A sireeeeen or something maybe - something not too intrusive that I Can later remove to keep her stock "looking". Hopefully no one will just pull it on a flat bed. ;)

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mrs. Dan is onboard with a Route 66 trip! I'll be retired January 1 so now I have to convince her to retire early. :)

Now I can start planning the trip.

Any additional tips and links would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts