Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Any good machinist will tell you how easy it is to make a drive train matching numbers.

There's a huge difference between matching numbers and original drive train. The hard part is figuring out if someone just made it "MATCHING NUMBERS"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Agree that the spoiler looks bad on that car.
But with respect to the "matching numbers" aspect I've never taken "matching numbers" to mean "all original". Coming from the Corvette world, I know that "matching numbers" can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people. What I've always taken "matching numbers" to mean is that the numbers on the VIN plate, the engine block, and the chassis all match (which implies but does not guarantee) they are all original to the car. Some people also include the transmission and the rear end in there definition of "matching numbers". Is this different in GTO-land?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Especially for the '66-'67 model that you are looking for it is very different for Pontiacs. There was no partial vin stamped on the blocks. "Period Correct" would be a better description in my opinion as the early models were "Date coded". Some people call these cars with replacement blocks as numbers matching because they have a date code that would be assumed to be correct relative to the production date of the car.

Numbers matching to me means "Original to the car".

·
Registered
61 Posts
Agree that the spoiler looks bad on that car.
But with respect to the "matching numbers" aspect I've never taken "matching numbers" to mean "all original". Coming from the Corvette world, I know that "matching numbers" can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people. What I've always taken "matching numbers" to mean is that the numbers on the VIN plate, the engine block, and the chassis all match (which implies but does not guarantee) they are all original to the car. Some people also include the transmission and the rear end in there definition of "matching numbers". Is this different in GTO-land?
I would say matching number car would include the entire drivetrain. IMO

Its a scary hobby, way too much fraud.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts