Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Noticed a paint issue (maybe)

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  bergenfelter 
#1 ·
On the hood inserts around the air scoop is see cloudyness in the paint (almost like the clear coat has a problem or something). Hit it with Quick Detailer and nothing. I'll be showing that to the dealer. Also, the passagner side rocker sill has some paint smears. Like someone touched it when it was still wet.

#2 ·
Get it back to the dealer ASAP and show him this stuff...I had about 6 spots on my car that had "clearcoat contamination issues". They had to repaint about 60% of my car. I'll be getting it back on Monday, and I'll also have a guarantee on it for as long as I own the car.

Still, it doesn't dampen my enthusiasm for this car...I'll be ordering some new rims for it tomorrow, and getting the windows tinted on Tuesday.

#3 ·
After washing & caring for my car for a few weeks now, I also have noticed a couple of very minor paint flaws. One spot is a little thin, another looks like a very small water spot that you can not rub out. They are so small and inconspicuous that I will leave them alone. If anything else shows up, I'll have the paint folks look at it.

#4 ·
You do a search under paint and find lots of problems, particularly the one you mention with a "cloudy" look under the clearcoat. Sometimes this is remedied with a heat gun, but I recommend you let the dealership decide.

The paint on these cars is crap, IMHO. Thin, poor clearcoat, scratches if you breathe on it; etc. etc.

#5 ·
i have the same problems, but i don't have the time to have the car gone for 2-4 weeks to get it done. also, i worry how it will look compared to the factory job. especially if they dont shoot the entire car. i dont know if i will get it fixed or not. its very minor and cant be seen by anybody but me.

#7 ·
All dealerships should have the technical service bulletin on this issue. Using a heat gun is the remedy. So make sure you tell them about the TSB. The dealership I bought the car from was going to repaint the problem area. But a friend of mine who is a manager of the detail shop at a different dealership knew about the TSB and he removed the spot in less than 5 minutes. That was back in April '05 and the spots haven't returned.

#8 ·
I've been having a problem with the paint on my back bumper where the GTO is....I took it to the dealer and on that area of the car, there is no clear coat. I was told they use a titanium based paint and for some reason, it has decided to flake off. They were going to re-paint it silver but I told them I wanted it the same color as the car now. FREEEEEEE MODDDDDDDD!!!!! :rofl:

#9 ·
GOATGIRL said:
I've been having a problem with the paint on my back bumper where the GTO is....I took it to the dealer and on that area of the car, there is no clear coat. I was told they use a titanium based paint and for some reason, it has decided to flake off. They were going to re-paint it silver but I told them I wanted it the same color as the car now. FREEEEEEE MODDDDDDDD!!!!! :rofl:
Glad to see you're still kickin', GoatGirl!

#10 ·
I did notice on mine that the paint on the SAP spolier seems to be sparce. Kind of looks like the robotics arm was moving too fast and the coverage just looks well, sparce all though you can only notice this when the car is in the garage and looking at it on an angle with over head lights on. When looking at it in the sun and outside you do not notice it. :confused

#11 ·
Mine is flaking around the tips on the GTO rear panel. The dealer repainted the whole thing and it is flaking again. Is the heat gun the answer? I can't understand why the paint is falling off!

#13 ·
Does anyone have the Paint TSB and service text for the heat gun procedure?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.