Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my 2004 M6 GTO last night, I am so happy to finally have a car that I can tinker with.

I do have a couple of questions for all the guru's here. First things first, the color: It's red. The dealership told me it was a "special order color" which I took to mean Pulse Red. The code under the hood says 172L. It is not that big of a deal to me which red it is, but if the dealer was wrong I would like to know it. (It is a Pontiac dealer, but not the one that sold it originally)

Second: It already has the B&M shifter on it. So far, I am not that big of a fan of it, I am having difficulty finding gears and it is not that smooth. I am thinking of having them change it back to original (no charge). Any thoughts? From what I read, I either want a GMM or maybe wait some of the upcoming shifters come out.

Last: Bring on the suggestions for my first mod! I have any itchy wrenching finger and it needs to be scratched.

Oh yeah, I know I said that that was the last question, but is the dealer the only place to find an owner's manual?

I appreciate all the help, and look forward to a long and prosperous relationship, and if anyone cares, it has 9,200 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
agipd435 said:
Bought my 2004 M6 GTO last night, I am so happy to finally have a car that I can tinker with.

I do have a couple of questions for all the guru's here. First things first, the color: It's red. The dealership told me it was a "special order color" which I took to mean Pulse Red. The code under the hood says 172L. It is not that big of a deal to me which red it is, but if the dealer was wrong I would like to know it. (It is a Pontiac dealer, but not the one that sold it originally)
The paint code for Pulse Red is 129L (only 800 produced) and Torrid Red is F143.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Sorry, can't help with the color codes. Correct me if I'm wrong, guys, but didn't the Pulse Red cars have grey gauges while the Torrids had matching Red ones?!?

Regarding the shifter, the B&M unit is a HUGE improvement over the stock shifter. Go sit in a new '05 or '06 and see for yourself. It's just a rubbery, flubbery mess.

With the B&M, finding gears can be a little annoying at first -- but you do get used to it. Regarding the notchiness, the Tremec is very difficult to drive smoothly. So the feel isn't entirely the shifter's fault -- as the shift gate is rather tight -- as is the rather clunky linkage with its two to three step feel. I personally haven't tried the GMM yet -- but would like to. As for Hurst and some of the other aftermarket shifter manufacturers -- they've been saying that their kits will be ready in a month for over a year now.

Regarding the owner's manuals -- go to http://www.mygmlink.com and sign up. They have PDFs of the owner's manuals that you can download. You can also buy them and all relevant services manuals, too. It's great.

Mods. Know you're ready to break out the tools -- but the first mod should be to get some aftermarket wheels and tires -- preferably 18" ones with a rim and recessed dish as the rather flat factory wheels really disguise some of the finer styling details of the car. A close second would be to change over the transmission, differential, engine and brake fluids to synthetic. You'll be amazed at the difference -- particularly in cleaning up that notchy transmission.

Otherwise, do a search for Groucho's suspension bushings upgrade. THAT is how the car should have been set up from the factory. You can also look into X-man's Corvette brake pad substitution for the front calipers. Talk to GTODEALER about mods regarding engine output. For the stereo, search around here for how to dial in the head unit and turn up the boost from the trunk amplifier. You should also read some of the TSBs for 04s, too.

That should be a pretty good start. Good luck with your car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You can also tell if its pulse red by the stiching in the seats... If its Red then you have Pulse red. All the other colors have gray stiching

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welome and congrads on the goat purchase. Let us know if you are planning on drag racing the car or just wanting a daily driver muscle car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is going to be a daily driver/ commuter car. I know it isn't the most economical commuter car, but if I have to spend the time in a car, it might as well be this one! I will probably take it to a track or two, and do a couple of light mods. I probably won't change many internal engine parts, but time will tell.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.