Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, new to the forum, but needed advice and thought I'd bring it to the experts. I'm buying a black w/red interior 6 spd '06 GTO, but the original plan was to wait until Aug/Sept when the GM rebates get better. Well, I just found out today that I'm heading to Baghdad for 6 months, starting in September. (I'm active duty Air Force.) So, I can't decide if I should buy it in June/July, drive it for a little while, and then store it until I get back, or take my chances that I'll still be able to buy a brand new one sitting on a lot somewhere in April '07. I don't have a car payment right now, so if I bought it before I left I'd basically be making 6 months of car payments without being able to enjoy the car.
What do you think? Think they'll still be some available by then? If there is I'd probably be able to get a great deal, but I don't know if I want to risk being able to get one. (I don't buy used...no way to know how much somebody beat the hell out of the LS2 and Tremec.):confused
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
NewGoatFan said:
Hey folks, new to the forum, but needed advice and thought I'd bring it to the experts. I'm buying a black w/red interior 6 spd '06 GTO, but the original plan was to wait until Aug/Sept when the GM rebates get better. Well, I just found out today that I'm heading to Baghdad for 6 months, starting in September. (I'm active duty Air Force.) So, I can't decide if I should buy it in June/July, drive it for a little while, and then store it until I get back, or take my chances that I'll still be able to buy a brand new one sitting on a lot somewhere in April '07. I don't have a car payment right now, so if I bought it before I left I'd basically be making 6 months of car payments without being able to enjoy the car.
What do you think? Think they'll still be some available by then? If there is I'd probably be able to get a great deal, but I don't know if I want to risk being able to get one. (I don't buy used...no way to know how much somebody beat the hell out of the LS2 and Tremec.):confused

woohoooo welcome to my neck of the woods... i bought mine and came right back to Kuwait. i will tell you this, while you are away, there is plenty of time to have mods put on, plus with being in Baghdad you won't have sh!+ to spend your money on..... so yes buy it now, give someone you trust the keys and find a good place in which to start modifying it, and have them drop it off and pick it up for you, plus it will be a good thing to keep the fluids moving. i am fortunate to have bought mine in FT. Worth, GTODEALER takes care of all my mods, he's a good guy. believe me once you see what everyone here has done and is doing, you are going to want to do the same.

so i will give you a welcome, both to the club and to the middle east.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
NewGoatFan said:
. I don't have a car payment right now, so if I bought it before I left I'd basically be making 6 months of car payments without being able to enjoy the car.
What do you think? Think they'll still be some available by then? If there is I'd probably be able to get a great deal, but I don't know if I want to risk being able to get one. (I don't buy used...no way to know how much somebody beat the hell out of the LS2 and Tremec.):confused

First of all THANK YOU to all of who serve/have served. My freedom and safety is solely because of our troops. :cheers

To answer your question, having any inventory in April of NEXT year is a tough one. I'm personally getting the exact car you want and orders cease at the end of this month (but I think it depends on the dealer. I'm getting mine locally from Sewell). I'm told the car will arrive in July or August so if you can buy last minute this year, I'd store it and crank it over when you return. I can't fathom having any on dealer lots next year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know that I have anyone here that I trust enough to take care of mods for me...ony been stationed here for about 8 months. So, I'd have to store it in the garage. So, assuming I did buy before I ship out, can anyone recommend some steps to follow for storing a car for 1/2 a year?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
NewGoatFan said:
I don't know that I have anyone here that I trust enough to take care of mods for me...ony been stationed here for about 8 months. So, I'd have to store it in the garage. So, assuming I did buy before I ship out, can anyone recommend some steps to follow for storing a car for 1/2 a year?
i was told that for that short period of time, you don't really need to do anything. the fluids are all going to be brand new and everything will be in good working order. so find a spot park it and don't worry about it until you come back.

i use the dealership where i bought the car for all my mods, those guys are great. plus they have a good working knowledge of MY CAR. your only problem would be finding someone to take it and pick it up.... from the sounds of it i assume you're not married... take it to your folks house and let them hold it for you. find a good garage/dealership to take it to, let them know what you want to do, and work something out.... personally i couldn't wait until i got home to get my stuff done, i have only a limited amount of time and when i get there i want to go and play..... just some suggestions, hope they help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
NewGoatFan said:
I don't know that I have anyone here that I trust enough to take care of mods for me...ony been stationed here for about 8 months. So, I'd have to store it in the garage. So, assuming I did buy before I ship out, can anyone recommend some steps to follow for storing a car for 1/2 a year?
wait where is here. Vandenburg in CA?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
850 Posts
If you really have your heart set on a GTO, then I would not wait...the dealers are ordering these cars only until the beginning of April and then they're gone...you are taking a big chance that the exact car you want will be there next year...buy it now and store it...

Welcome to the herd!:party: :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
GOATGIRL said:
If you really have your heart set on a GTO, then I would not wait...the dealers are ordering these cars only until the beginning of April and then they're gone...you are taking a big chance that the exact car you want will be there next year...buy it now and store it...

Welcome to the herd!:party: :cheers
:agree i am happy i did...... many mods and months later, i look forward to seeing my baby everyday......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
If a GTO is what you really want, then buy it now and store it. If by some chance you change your mind, you will be able to find someone who didn't buy soon enough to take it off your hands. I am in the sandbox working now, but my wife keeps ours moving. It has a whole 550 miles on it and we have had it since Feb. Good luck and stay safe when you get over here and thanks for serving. :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
GOATGIRL said:
If you really have your heart set on a GTO, then I would not wait...the dealers are ordering these cars only until the beginning of April and then they're gone...you are taking a big chance that the exact car you want will be there next year...buy it now and store it...

Welcome to the herd!:party: :cheers
It looks like this week is the deadline for SOLD orders, stock orders cut off on Friday the 17th. Get one ordered while you can!
The following quote is from LS1GTO.COM






Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete 03/16/06




You have only 29 hours to get your order in for a 2006 GTO before GM closes the order book. Friday the 17th is LAST CALL for 2006 GTO orders. If you are on the fence it is time to order or settle for whatever the dealer has in the pipeline.

Good Bye 2006 and Here come da Judge, Justice, D'oh the 2008 GTO



Posted by LFP 03/20/06

We have asked all dealers to submit their orders last Friday the 17th. If you have not done so, have your dealer place the order now and make sure it is marked "sold". We will make one more scan for sold orders next week before we close it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, you've all convinced me, although I really didn't need much of a push. ;) I'll probably pick one up in May or June, break it in, then garage it until I'm back from the sandbox. Now I need to decide on color. I was almost certain I would get black, but I've seen lots of really sharp-looking Impulse Blue GTOs. Those seem harder to find, however. (At least none within three hours of here.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
850 Posts
NewGoatFan said:
Well, you've all convinced me, although I really didn't need much of a push. ;) I'll probably pick one up in May or June, break it in, then garage it until I'm back from the sandbox. Now I need to decide on color. I was almost certain I would get black, but I've seen lots of really sharp-looking Impulse Blue GTOs. Those seem harder to find, however. (At least none within three hours of here.)
Top 3 colors (imo)

1) Brazen Orange
2) Spice Red
3) Impulse Blue

Congrats on the decision!!!!:party:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
Trukcrazy said:
Midnight Blue all the way....:lol: Brazen Orange would be on the list.
Unfortunately, midnight blue is not available on 06's :( I like that color a lot.. though it probably shows dirt almost as bad as black ;)

To the OP, if you really are wanting the GTO, it sounds like the better decision to buy this year, at least if you want a stick. I've noticed that all but one of the 05's that hung around until this year at dealerships near me seem to be automatics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree. The only '05s in the area are A4's as well. I'm definitely going to buy before I go, but I'm basically hoping the rebates are better in the next month or two before I buy, plus I'd like to rack up a few more GM Card earnings. Right now I've got an Internet quote on a black '06 6spd w/18's for $29,700 after conquest money, GM rebate, and military rebate. (I've got about $500 in earnings to use on top of that.) That's a good deal, but I'm thinking the next round of incentives will get a bit more aggressive.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top