Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an 05 Yellow Jacket and noticed in certain lighting that the wing is alot darker than the car.

Has anyone else seen this and does anyone know if the spoilers are painted and installed at a different location than than the car?

Should I say something to the dealer?

Thanks!

Danny

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was told that the Spoilers are painted at the supplier, and then shipped to the plant. This means that there's likely to be a slight difference in the paint color, since they're from different batches of paint.

My dealer offered to have the spoiler repainted, but it would have been done at a local body shop. I decided to "live with it" for a month, and see how much it bothered me... I really didn't want to have someone painting on my 1-month old car.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Alot of the difference in paint color comes from the material that was painted. Plastic will never have the same tone as metal. Look at the bumper caps in direct sunlight along the seam and you'll see a slight difference compared to the body.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
The clearcoat acts like a prism -- and changes the light spectrum to the point where the paint color, at certain angles, appears to be different. It's normal. If your spoiler was a different color paint -- it would truly stick out like a sore thumb on all surfaces and at all angles.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Groucho said:
There's an easy fix...

RIP THAT BUTT-UGLY, USELESS THING OFF!!!

:D
:agree Removed mine off my 04 yellow jacket (put painted,smooth body plugs in holes FOR NOW). Looks much better now! Notice EVERYTHING on the road has a rear spoiler on it?!

·
501 RWHP & 469 RWTQ
230 Posts
My 05 was the same way and I had the dealer repaint it so now it looks correct. The bumpers are a different color to but that is due to the flexible sealer they put in the paint for flexibility since the bumper is rubber and will flex. You will never get that the same color.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.