Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Offsets and Tire/Rim Width

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  silvergoat05 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I want to get new rims, but have a couple of concerns. Is it a big deal if i get tires that are 7.5 or 8.5 inches wide? Also, if the offset is 42mm is it a huge deal considering the stock is 48mm? I dont know much about offsets and all that and don't want any rubbing or have to get my speedo recalibrated... Any help you can offer would be great. Thanks
P.S. I am trying to sell my stock tires/rims only 7500 miles on them ...

#5 ·
The offset of the GTO wheels are 40mm. I have 45mm, 9.5" wide rims on the rear and I had to trim the inner lip of the fender to prevent rubbing. I remove about a 1/4" and it doesn't rub at all. From what I've seen on most issues of rims for our goats, I haven't seen anyone offer rims with an offset over 50mm. I mounted a set of Corvette rear rims, 9.5" wide, offset of 53mm and the inside of the tire was less than a 1/4" from rubbing against the inside fender well. And that was due to the 11.1" section width of the tire, 275/40/17. So when choosing the preferred offset don't forget to choose a tire with the right section width. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.

#9 ·
40mm all around w/ 245/40/18 will fit. 42mm is better. Some people have reported rubbing issues on the rear with 18X8 40mm, don't know why.

for a staggered fit, a 18X9 rear w/ 50mm is considered the minimum and you still might have rubbing issues dependant on tire choice. Custom made and the new rims from ROH are 52mm with no issues using a 275/35/18.

Different brand tires have a wider footprint and may cause rubbing issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.