Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dumb [email protected]#T of the year award this decade goes to yours truly topkat :(
simply put, someone neglected to install the blocks rear main oil seal.:banghead:
to make matters a gazillion times worse, I cant get the caps off the rods, even by removing the nuts and rotating the crank (theyre new and tight)......LOVELY:nopity:
good thing im on the wagon these days
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

·
Registered
85 Posts
It may be best to read the book carefully before assembling the engine. That way you'll avoid any further issues. But to answer your question, yes, your going to have to disassemble what you have done to put in the oil seal, minus removal of the cam.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sometimes, the rear main seals on Chevys have bean able to be rolled in with the crank in place, but I do not know how much success you will have with a Pontiac. You would most likely be able to remove the rod caps, timing chain, mains, lift the crank out, do what you need to do with out pulling the pistons out, reset the crank, and reassemble everything. Good luck, go slow!

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow, wasn't nearly as bad as I thought..............every forum has one of me I guess......stares at main cap and bare block and reads graphtite instruction 27 times

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Top, with a brass hammer/drift, sharp smacks on either side of the bearing cap will walk it right off. It's all technique. You won't hurt the cap. Just don't stick a steel prybar/screwstick in there and pry. You can even try hitting the cap with a hair dryer to heat it up, then smack it. It'll come. And DON'T EVEN THINK about trying to sneak the rear seal in without at least lifting the crank up a smidge. You are guaranteed a leak. Enjoyed the Baker's last night on your behalf!!

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The brass drift worked wonderfully. Rear seal and crank in as per instructions. A rare shot of Woodford was enjoyed afterward and a single drop applied to the block for good luck.
Hope you have more Baker's for tonite Gee!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts