Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
crap i better go check my mailbox for that too. i haven't burnt a drop or lost a drop since i've purchased the car. i'm on to 15k miles now with the manual

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
crap i better go check my mailbox for that too. i haven't burnt a drop or lost a drop since i've purchased the car. i'm on to 15k miles now with the manual
Mine does not use oil either at 19.5K, but many do. I am figuring there have been complaints regarding this, hence this letter.

·
Registered
730 Posts
you know i have heard about a few engines that had the first and second piston ring line up and kill the motor in 300 miles due to oil consumption. the ls2s. i dunno about you or anyone else but 300 miles is less than a tankful of gasoline for me seeing how i normally get 350+ miles to a tankful.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well I allways check my oil once a week (must be because I used to have a VW) I was a 1/2 quirt after 2,000 miles other than that I think this is normal. I have yet to see a hi HP engine not burn alittle oil.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I received the letter yesterday. Mine doesn't burn any oil, but I don't drive my GTO aggressively.

For those that haven't received the letter. The letter says the GTO may burn oil if driven aggressively. Aggressively meaning pushed beyond 3000 rpm to redline on a regular basis and engine braking frequently.

·
Registered
27 Posts
my 06 with 7500 miles doesn,t use any but i recieved my notice saturday but iam waiting for the notice concering strut rub on my tires.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Yup, Saturday. Read it and filed it under Pontiac CYA, then checked the level and it was still at the top mark with a little over a grand on the clock. I suspect its an internal oil consumption issue related to the PVC valve. I wonder if the Vettes have the same problem and got a letter from Chevy?
Red Beard

·
Registered
232 Posts
Received mine last Friday. Since I have so few miles on mine GTO, I haven't worried about this, but I should get back in the habit of checking all fluid levels on my cars during refueling.

·
Registered
585 Posts
:party: on! I got mine today. Isn't that kinda like a disclaimer. It is your driving not our workmanship that is causing your car to use oil. Mine doesn't use oil at 37,000 I regularly drive over the 3,000 RPM mark and it does not use oil.:agree

·
Registered
53 Posts
Got mine's today. Something somewhere must have happen for GM to sent out a letter like that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Haven't received mine but will be on the look out for it, I have noticed that mine appears to use oil, had to add a quart,(mobil 1). Have 26700 on the car, its an 04, and do use engine braking, can't help it, it just sounds so good!. But why would this cause oil use, is it burning it or blowing it out some where, that is the question.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I received my letter today...My guess is they have replaced one too many
ls2 under warranty for 'very spirited driving' and are looking for a way out...
CYA all the way!:lol:

·
Registered
317 Posts
This letter materially alters the warranty that you agreed to when you purchased your vehicle. Under the Uniform Commercial Code Section 2-207, such a material alteration or change to the agreement can void the contract, or simply be ignored if conduct is contradictory to the letter, meaning that you can make GM pay you back for your inconvenience/cost of coverage, or even buy back your car.

Here's the catch. They can legally screw you if you do not reply "seasonally", stating that you object to this alteration. You must send a certified reply, stating that this is a alteration of your warranty agreement, to which you did not agree, nor contract to, when you purchased the vehicle.

ALL of you should send a reply with your objection immediately. If GM does not refund part of the cost of the vehicle, offer to purchase back your vehicle at a reasonable cost, or acceptable substitution for the now useless warranty, they can not hold you to this. It is a statement. If you do nothing you agree to it.

.... who knew Law School, and staying awake through contracts would come in handy....:party:

·
Registered
415 Posts
This letter materially alters the warranty that you agreed to when you purchased your vehicle. Under the Uniform Commercial Code Section 2-207, such a material alteration or change to the agreement can void the contract, or simply be ignored if conduct is contradictory to the letter, meaning that you can make GM pay you back for your inconvenience/cost of coverage, or even buy back your car.

Here's the catch. They can legally screw you if you do not reply "seasonally", stating that you object to this alteration. You must send a certified reply, stating that this is a alteration of your warranty agreement, to which you did not agree, nor contract to, when you purchased the vehicle.

ALL of you should send a reply with your objection immediately. If GM does not refund part of the cost of the vehicle, offer to purchase back your vehicle at a reasonable cost, or acceptable substitution for the now useless warranty, they can not hold you to this. It is a statement. If you do nothing you agree to it.

.... who knew Law School, and staying awake through contracts would come in handy....:party:

I think I'll follow your advice on this one...I agree with you 100%. :cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got mine the other day. I think people are having oil problems and then having to have a lot of warrenty work done. Just a guess though.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts