Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought home my 1971 for the first time last night. Had been at the previous owners while they did some fine tuning. One item they thought they had fixed was a leaking oil filter. They replaced with a new AC Delco . Well, that obviously wasn't it because there was oil dripping from the filter on to the headers when I got it home. I dried it off the filter with a rag and then restarted the car. Lo and behold, a few drips dropping off the oil filter. At 1030 last night in the dark with a weak flashlight I was able to barely get my head underneath the car and see that the oil may be coming from just above the filter. A slow drip, maybe two drops/minute. Any thoughts on a likely culprit??

I can tell you for a fact that there was no remnant gasket from the old oil filter. We cleaned the base thoroughly. I looked through my Chilton's and could find no decent diagram of the oil filter assembly area.

I'll be taking it back tonight to get it on the lift, but wondered if anyone had any thoughts before I can do that.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
I brought home my 1971 for the first time last night. Had been at the previous owners while they did some fine tuning. One item they thought they had fixed was a leaking oil filter. They replaced with a new AC Delco . Well, that obviously wasn't it because there was oil dripping from the filter on to the headers when I got it home. I dried it off the filter with a rag and then restarted the car. Lo and behold, a few drips dropping off the oil filter. At 1030 last night in the dark with a weak flashlight I was able to barely get my head underneath the car and see that the oil may be coming from just above the filter. A slow drip, maybe two drops/minute. Any thoughts on a likely culprit??

I can tell you for a fact that there was no remnant gasket from the old oil filter. We cleaned the base thoroughly. I looked through my Chilton's and could find no decent diagram of the oil filter assembly area.

I'll be taking it back tonight to get it on the lift, but wondered if anyone had any thoughts before I can do that.

Thanks in advance.

Dan
Did you inspect the surface, and the rim of the oil filter bracket? Is there a nick in it? Someone once use a screwdriver to remove a stubborn over tightened filter and dinged it in the process?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We're putting her up on the lift later tonight. I'm going to pick up another filter just in case. Thanks again for the suggestions and I will check them out then let the board know what it was when we solve the problem. Nothing like waiting 30 some years to get a Goat and not being able to drive it .. Also, fwiw it is a comfort to buy a car from a stand up, honest guy.

·
Registered
704 Posts
oil pressure sender, oil filter mounting bracket gasket, if mechanical gauge, then oil line \ fitting to gauge, filter on too tight, or excess oil on gasket when installed. PS if mechanical gauge, use metal tubing, no plastic. it can melt or get brittle when cold.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
:agree Oil pressure sender (or switch if you have a light instead of a gauge). If it was over-tightened when installed, the housing itself might be cracked and leaking where it screws in and have to be replaced. (Yeah, I did that :eek:)

Bear

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aftermarket mechanical gauge and tube were spewing oil. I was going to take out the aftermarket oil gauge in the car anyway..

Brand new original stock Oil sending unit will go on tomorrow.

thanks again for the help,

Dan

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hey Jig, what gives man?:mad:
You've been stringing us along for like what 2 months now, STILL no pictures. For real man that's pretty cold. Ya know we all help out when we can, we answer questions.

Seriously, get with the program and post some pictures of the 71 Rocket. OK?
So's we don't have to get...personal.
:shutme
:D:D:D
:rofl:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honest! I do have a 1971 Goat :lol:

Will do on the pictures. I bought the car two weeks or so ago and the owner, who has as shop/lift, has been cleaning it up and replacing a few items..New lights around, brakes, rear axle seals, replaced heavy springs for lighter in the 12 bolt rear. Sandblasted and repainted the rally wheels etc. He's an older fellow, pontiac nut, who sings in a gospel quartet! Great guy. He had it until last night when I drove it home. He may have a had a tear in his eye when I drove away. Had to give it back a few hours ago. It's been restored 95% but sitting for 15 yrs. That's my story so far..

Dan

·
Registered
220 Posts
Honest! I do have a 1971 Goat :lol:

Will do on the pictures. I bought the car two weeks or so ago and the owner, who has as shop/lift, has been cleaning it up and replacing a few items..New lights around, brakes, rear axle seals, replaced heavy springs for lighter in the 12 bolt rear. Sandblasted and repainted the rally wheels etc. He's an older fellow, pontiac nut, who sings in a gospel quartet! Great guy. He had it until last night when I drove it home. He may have a had a tear in his eye when I drove away. Had to give it back a few hours ago. It's been restored 95% but sitting for 15 yrs. That's my story so far..

Dan
Incredible stuff there, bro. Do you know why the P.O. sold the car?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts