Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 questions.
What's with the spring & the piece above it?
And what's the groove on the mating surface of the filter for?
thanks as always!!!!!

Attachments

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Pressure relief spring in case oil filter gets plugged, so you still get oil flow. That groove should not be there and is a guaranteed leak waiting to happen. Get another unit.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Pressure relief spring in case oil filter gets plugged, so you still get oil flow. That groove should not be there and is a guaranteed leak waiting to happen. Get another unit.
:agree Topkat, that housing is toast. Especially if you're going to run headers. That leak will drip down right onto the collectors and is guaranteed to cause a fire. (Ask me how I know) I wouldn't risk it even with factory manifolds and head pipes. Get ready for a shock though, those housings aren't available from GM any longer and the aftermarket/repro folks know it.

Bear

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I removed the screw from the inside of the housing there is a spring under the plate. under the spring a round disc that covers the hole, underneith the disk was some broken pieces of.......something(at the end of the spin tight.
These bits of "debri" seem to be some sort of almost clear plastic!!!!
any ideas?
is the hole under the disc supposed to be closed completely?
Can I just leave out the spring and the disc?
Seems like some else to cause trouble.:confused
thanks as always

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
The white nylon bits look like it came from the timing gears. Originally they were covered in nylon to suppress noise.

After you clean everything up put it back together like you found it. Use locktite on the threads of the screw.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts