Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey my car that should be arriving around the beginning of sept. It is a 400ci GTO motor. I was wondering what grade motor oil it takes and can I use synthetic?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Most oils out there are marketed to make the owner feel good, and the engine does not really care, at least within reason. From all of the research I have done on the topic, I would run a 10w30 or 10w40 that is advertised with high zinc content, or run whatever oil is on sale and use the money saved on a good zinc additive package.

Or if you have a roller cam, run whatever you run in the minivan or suv in a 10w30, zinc additive not needed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
39 Posts
Zinc is key. I'm lucky, I have a supply of old oil and I run that. Valvoline Racing oil is good for our motors, though. Straight 20, 20w/30, 10w30 all work IF you have zinc. I would skip a zinc additive though. I attended a seminar on oil and the presenter said zinc additive packages are snake oil. Then again, he was selling something else, so... ???

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info guys. I think i wil use the Amsoil z-rod 10w40. I use the Amsoil z-rod in my viper and I have no complaints. I live close to the distribution centre so i can get Amsoil for cheaper than any other brand name oil in stores. and it takes 5 quarts right?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts