Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang.
After a 20 mile drive the other day (150 miles on the motor now :) I discovered a teaspoons worth of oil on my drip pan. It was comming between the water pump and the front of the TC cover.:(
The lowest bolt and mostly the next one up on the passengerside.
This bolt wasnt loose per-sec, but i got almost a 1/2 turn out of it and less on the bottom one and it isnt leaking, yet.
I'm pretty sure there's no 'quick fix' besides a new gasket, tho I suspect at some point i'll having to replace the TC cover itself. It wasn't in the greatest shape to begin with. dam! KInda pitted and slightly eroded on some edges
Not something I want to do untill i have to.
Thanks for listening.
Happy Turkey Day All!!
:cheers
:seeya:
Tk

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Hi TK, back atcha. The timing cover is probably your culprit, if the sealing edges are erroded. As you know, the front section of the oil pan gasket is a serivice part, and easily changed with the TC off. You can repair the cover with JB weld, provided it's super clean. Then coat the inside of it with Glyptal to prevent further electrolysis. My advice would be to finish other things on the car first that may be more pressing and continue driving it for awhile if the leak is not bad. The repair is a simple, single afternoon job.

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Geeter. So I can use JB weld to kinda 'build up' areas of the mating surface that maye be lacking?
Interesting. That stuff will hold up in that oily hell?
Amazing...
I do need exhaust pipes rather soon..... lol
thanks as always!

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Yes. Clean the areas really well, fill in and build up where needed, let cure, and paint over the JB and the rest of the inside of the cover with Glyptal. It'll get you by for a long time. Meanwhile, start looking for a cherry timing cover.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts