Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the pan gasket adhered to the block the pan or both?
And whats the deal with these pan stiffiner tabs that go toward the back?
thanks as always

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Is the pan gasket adhered to the block the pan or both?
And whats the deal with these pan stiffiner tabs that go toward the back?
thanks as always
I installed the cork gasket to the pan. The stiffeners go in the holes to prevent the gasket from shifting when installing the pan.

Place the gasket on the cleaned pan surface, then place the stiffeners in the holes in the pan, then install. Torque the pan evenly.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I agree. Also, make sure the metal around the pan bolts is straight and not stretched or divoted. You can take a small ball pein hammer and use the peining end to tap the holes back down so the pan rails are dead straight. Me, I always used the sealer to fasten the gasket to the pan, and then a very small amount on the top side of the gasket before installing to the block. A little extra around the rear main saddle and the front gasket corners at the timing cover area. I've had really good luck with GM ultra black or Permatex gray sealers. I hate the red stuff. The pearl blue high temp is good, too. Good luck. DO NOT OVER-ToRQUE!!! You don't want to see the gasket squish outwards of the pan rail when it's tight....it should still hold it's shape.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts