Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Actually, that's a little bit off the mark.

First, I don't know what the actual GTO requirement is.

But, for the Corvette, Mobil 1 is factory fill, but the owners manual doesn't require or even recommend Mobil 1. It requires an oil meeting GM Standard 4718M. Any oil meeting this standard is suitable for the Corvette. The owners manual does say that Mobil 1 5w30 does meet this standard. (As a note, the new Mobil 1 Extended Performance does not meet GM Standard 4718M).

I suspect the GTO standard is similar as the AMSOIL Online Product Application Guide shows that all the oils recommended for the GTO meet this same standard.

FYI, the following AMSOIL synthetic lubricants meet GM Standard 4718M, and are also recommended by AMSOIL for the GTO:
AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30
AMSOIL SAE Synthetic 5w30
AMSOIL SAE Synthetic 10w30
AMSOIL XL-7500 Synthetic 5w30
AMSOIL XL-7500 Synthetic 10w30
:cheers

Request a Free AMSOIL Catalog
AMSOIL Ordering Information
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program

·
Registered
50 Posts
Subdriver said:
Actually, that's a little bit off the mark.

First, I don't know what the actual GTO requirement is.

But, for the Corvette, Mobil 1 is factory fill, but the owners manual doesn't require or even recommend Mobil 1. It requires an oil meeting GM Standard 4718M. Any oil meeting this standard is suitable for the Corvette. The owners manual does say that Mobil 1 5w30 does meet this standard. (As a note, the new Mobil 1 Extended Performance does not meet GM Standard 4718M).

I suspect the GTO standard is similar as the AMSOIL Online Product Application Guide shows that all the oils recommended for the GTO meet this same standard.

FYI, the following AMSOIL synthetic lubricants meet GM Standard 4718M, and are also recommended by AMSOIL for the GTO:
AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30
AMSOIL SAE Synthetic 5w30
AMSOIL SAE Synthetic 10w30
AMSOIL XL-7500 Synthetic 5w30
AMSOIL XL-7500 Synthetic 10w30
:cheers

Request a Free AMSOIL Catalog
AMSOIL Ordering Information
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program
Mobil one is the factory fill for the 05 GTO as well. The book pretty much says the same thing you are describing in reagards to the GM standards and does say that Mobil one meets those standards

·
Registered
50 Posts
Waht you are seeing is a type of engine assembly lube that is used when the motor is put together and that is why the oil is thicker and a little different color.

·
Registered
316 Posts
all I can say is that they must use a hell of alot of assembly lube, that stuff was thicker than the oil that I put in my 71 Cutlass. I did notice that the car starts up alot better after the first oil change and run the RPM's a little easyer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Braman'sGTO said:
all I can say is that they must use a hell of alot of assembly lube, that stuff was thicker than the oil that I put in my 71 Cutlass. I did notice that the car starts up alot better after the first oil change and run the RPM's a little easyer.
Mine was real thick to on the first oil change, I changed my oil at 500 1500 and will do it at 3000 and then keep a 3000 mile schedule. I am on the fence with the debate on the GM oil monitoring system. I still had some thicker oil on the second oil change to so we will see what happens at 3000

·
Registered
364 Posts
LS2Bluegoat said:
Mobil one is the factory fill for the 05 GTO as well. The book pretty much says the same thing you are describing in reagards to the GM standards and does say that Mobil one meets those standards
Thanks for the info. That is what I would've guessed. Good to know though :cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.