Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do our cars come from the factory with mobil 1. i read that corvetts factory fill, is mobil 1. is this true.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Our GTOs use dino oil. Corvettes use Mobile 1 and some say that is causing higher oil consumption because the engine doesn't break-in properly. I changed at 2000 miles and plan to switch to synthetic at 5000. I've used Mobile 1 in my other LS1s but am going to try Amsoil new 0W-30 this time.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Xman said:
Our GTOs use dino oil. Corvettes use Mobile 1 and some say that is causing higher oil consumption because the engine doesn't break-in properly. I changed at 2000 miles and plan to switch to synthetic at 5000. I've used Mobile 1 in my other LS1s but am going to try Amsoil new 0W-30 this time.
I have Mobil 1 in all my cars, but my dealer said NOT to put in my GTO til 9000 miles,,,,said it takes that long to fully break in??

·
Registered
83 Posts
Getting ready to do my 1st oil change at 2500. Switching to Mobile 1. You don't have to wait for any so called "break in" 5 or 9000 miles from what I have read on synthetics written by experts and manufacturers of synthetics.

Additionally, If so many manufacturers have been putting synthetics as factory fill for the past several years, do you think they would want to open themselves up for ring jobs?????

I also picked up a vette ls1 magnetic drain plug for five and change from the local chevy stealership for added protection. :cheers

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't know about the LS1 not being broken in til 9,000, but I have heard a few times that around 8,000 to 9,000 they have seemed to "wake up" a little. I really like your idea of getting a magnetic drain plug. I'll definitely get one of those for myself this week.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think I read the same thing about waking up, I think on this site. I also thing it has something to do with the programming of the computer. :cheers

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't know about the computer changing at 8,000 miles, that sounds a little far fetched. I came from the LS1 F-Body world before my GTO. I'm so glad that so much of what I learned from my TA carries over.

·
Registered
96 Posts
alrady had 3 oil changes at 8500 miles,(this car is great for trips), and also had the magnetic plug installed,,,what about a oil filter? any suggestions or continue using factory? :rofl:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just my opinion, but aluminum doesn`t stick to magnets and the rings are made of steel so they would shave off the clyinder walls first so unless they dropped in some kind of other metal part in the block buying a plug seems like a waste of 5 bucks and change.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The block is alu - the cylinder inserts are steel.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I changed to red line synthetic oil at my first oil change on my red M6 and will be doing the same with the wifes blue A4. I have used that oil in my race bikes and vehicles and am amazed with the results. I also put in a magnetic drain plug. 5 and some change was a rip though. I got 2 of them for $5.50 from the dealer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just changed my oil this weekend. 1178 miles

I am using Mobil 1, magnetic drain plug and the K&N oil filter. My car sat on the dealer lot for at least 7 months so I was going to drain the oil after 1000 miles regardless.

I may in the future use RedLine or Royal Purple since I have heard and seen good things with both. However I can get 5Qt jugs of Mobil 1 at walmart for $19 a piece. K&N oil filters run about $12 here (AutoZone) but I will most likely buy them online and get 6 or more at a time.

Side note that skid plate will be my first mod.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I read a report a few months ago that included Rotella T Synthetic as one of the better oils to use - it is a true synthetic as opposed to some of the brands that say synthetic, but have a partial non-synthetic base. I had been using Rotella T in my diesel truck, and when I found out that Walmart sells the synthetic for $13/gallon, I decided to just switch all my vehicles to that.

R

·
0 Posts
Xman said:
ever seen a bracket racing 8second dragster break in there new motor?
its done from the water box past the starting line! it runs every sat nite and is flogged to death an entire season at 13.5 to one, run the _hit out of it
run mobile one and buy an aluminum magnet goats were born to eat anything!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had the dealer chedck our drain plug part number and it only lists one, it's already magnified from stock lol.

Don't believe me feel free to go to your local GM Parts computer and see for yourself. As for Mobile 1 I usually do it on my second oil change around 5k miles.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts