Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was at the the local street racing hang out and a old 5.0 pulls up i hadnt made any runs and this is my first ever race we head out from a roll i missed third and he was rapin me i started pullin but i couldnt get him we got back and looked under the hood it was bored to a 306 and had a kenny bell 2.0 just my luck for my first race

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Watch out for the guy with a Chevette and a 427 in it.

Any time someone starts modding, all bets are off. You aren't racing a Fox body Mustang but a guys vision of what the car should be. How deep is his pockets.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Was it an old Fox body or the 93ish+ 5.0? It don't take many mods for an old 5.0 to put it to a GTO. The weight difference is great.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have a blower im just not a good driver yet im getin there tho i did take me a mustang gt down the same night from a stop

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
it was a fox body and it was a 5.0 and i started pullin on him once i got movin good
Those cars weigh nothing.

Friend kept his '84 GT Turbo Mustang in my garage while I done work on it. I could push that thing around without putting much of my weight into it. The GTO I have to put all of my weight plus dig in to move it.

·
Registered
944 Posts
They are nice and light, but you have to stiffen them up for power. My brother twisted his with some basic upgrades.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i have all while before i head back up there maybe ill be able to get going im still getin used to the racing thing

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
They are nice and light, but you have to stiffen them up for power. My brother twisted his with some basic upgrades.
F-bodies was the same way, expecially with T-Tops. One or two years GM offered the 5.7 TPI in the T-Top car the torque would twist the body. After that the only way to get a T-Top was with the 5.0 if you wanted the 5.7 you had to get a hard top.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
To stiffen a 5.0 all you need is weld/bolt in subrframe connectors. I love 5.0s, fun, cheap pocket rockets with tons of aftermarket parts. I've had 6 diferent 5.0s in my days. If you want one, just don't get an auto/AOD car, the AOD is a piece of crap and slows the car way down. A guy at the local strip has a gutted 5.0 5 sp, with a nothing special motor, nice clutch and slicks and goes 6.90s in the 1/8th, thats quick.

·
Registered
944 Posts
F-bodies was the same way, expecially with T-Tops. One or two years GM offered the 5.7 TPI in the T-Top car the torque would twist the body. After that the only way to get a T-Top was with the 5.0 if you wanted the 5.7 you had to get a hard top.
I didn't know you could ever get the T-Tops. I looked at a Formula TA around 93 (don't know what the chassis class was then), and T-Tops were not an option. Even if everyone uses unibody now, I'd rather have a frame. I think the Crown Vic based cars were the last passenger vehicles with full frame.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
I didn't know you could ever get the T-Tops. I looked at a Formula TA around 93 (don't know what the chassis class was then), and T-Tops were not an option. Even if everyone uses unibody now, I'd rather have a frame. I think the Crown Vic based cars were the last passenger vehicles with full frame.
T-tops been with the Firebirds since '77ish till '02. I know they called them F-bodies for the third and forth gens. The fourth gen started in '93, I think thats the same year Ford came out with the new Mustang body style.

Its funny you mention full frame. I had a '84 TA WS6 w/t-tops. Talk about a rattle, flexing car that was. I think you are correct about the Crown Vic being the last full frame car. To make unibodies as strong as frame cars they have to be heavy because of the thicker gauge steel.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I know in the early 70s - when they could not produce a convertible, they had some with a really wide mid section. Later they got a smaller mid section, then you could get no mid section at all (I think). When I was looking at the GTA you could not get anything. I was told the T would twist if you had any serious torque. They must have done something when the convertible came back out because that car should have just fell apart with no roof on it.

They talk about weight savings and all, but some old cars we'd call boats are in the 3000pounds range. I also think it's nearly impossible to really straighten a unibody car that takes a good hit. I know uni-body goes way back, but I still don't get it. As you said, making it strong makes it heavy again - so why not just use a full frame?

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Exactly that was one of the cars I was talking about the GTA/IROC-Z. You can get a 5.0 GTA T-top but not a 5.7 T-top. You could for the first year or two when they first came out. My friend had a IROC-Z T-top with the 5.7TPI stock. The body was so twisted you had to pick up on the heavy door to get it to shut. GM had to add extra supports to the convertable cars again I think you can only get those in the 5.0L.

I think F-bodies was one of those cars the was allways a unibody. I'm not 100% shure but unibody cars are cheaper to make. Basicly stamp it out of steel and move on. Unlike full frame cars you have to produce two seperate jigs.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
F bodies always were unibody cars. I like full frame cars myself. The Corvette has been a full frame car since introduced, as the fiberglass body cant' take much torque. A full frame fiberglass car also puts the center of gravity very low, thus helping handling. So, the Crown Vic was not the last passenger car with a full frame, as long as 2 passengers meet the requirement..

·
Registered
944 Posts
Vette - I didn't even think about that and I just watched it on 'Ultimate Factories'.

It was funny watching the Vette then Maserati factories back to back. All you could think of was how right Clarkson is when he says "good job fat bloke from Kentucky". Then I watched the Viper Factory, and they looked ten times worse than the vette crew.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts