67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
When ya gonna tub it for the 15" meats ??:lol:

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When ya gonna tub it for the 15" meats ??:lol:
Mitch, I stupidly didn't do that ,coulda had the chassis built narrowed and all.......Jeff, Yes I think it was a Willie Nelson song, he looks like he could use a resto right about now. ONE, The body will look stock outside except for the Le Mans hood with the hole in it...I was going to put 1972 GTO "fender extractors" in the front fenders, but was talked out of doing that also....Probably a good thing. Original seams will be welded, ground, and smoothed during the body work process. Eric:cheers

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
:agree the lines on the 66/67' are some of the most iconic in the auto world, took chrysler 3 years to steal them for the charger...better get some sticky rubber E, i just bump the pedal and the 245's bark, but you gotta love it...:party:

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Lookin good E. :cheers

How big of rubber are you going with? Street and/or Drag tires? Did you ever decide on rims? :confused

Inquiring minds want to know. :willy:

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The body shop is going to trim the rear wheel moldings and wheel wells (good for about 3/4" more clearance)....so far it looks like Continental Extreme Contact DW tires. -- 275/45 ZR-18 for the rear on either 9"or 10" rims...something a little more narrow for the front. I gotta wait till the body is back on the chassis so I can get some real good measurements for backspace/offset, etc...... I will probably go with some Billet Specialties wheels. HAS ANYONE seen the JIM WANGERS RallyeII wheels on his website??? I really like rallye I 's better but it is an idea....I think I should have mini-tubbed for maximum traction but "guys" tell me I'll be OK with stock wheel wells...:willy::confused Eric

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Eric, I have seen the Wangers wheels in person and they look excellent. Also, that guy I met at the races with the IA-2 single carbed normally aspirated '65 GTO with the 200r4 and 3.73 rear gears runs stock-ish rims and 9" wide drag radials on the back....and he just ran a 10.09 @136mph on 6/4/11 at Bakersfield...His motor is under 500 cid, and, he drives this thing to take his kids for ice cream, too. No need for tubs and flares to go REAL FAST!!!

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jeff, that's what my engine guy told me....low 10's no problem. I probably won't ever take it to the track...but I will be taking it on "ice cream runs" and for "donuts":rofl: Eric

·
Registered
944 Posts
Wow, those two make for an impossible choice. I do like the Heritage slightly more for their simple look.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I like fatty's on the back, 275 can fit in stock wheel wells, maybe wider with clearancing. You can still mini tub the body, just square up the wheel wells for the future. I saw the Wanger GTO and love it, those rims would look good, but bling like the specialties works also, your choice.. A huffer out your hood and subtle rims doesn't work, lol, not a sleeper at all.. I say 295's out back, 225s/235s up front, big n littles, but still handles on 18's.

·
Registered
148 Posts
From the two choices of wheels I would have to lean towards the heritage. I'm not familiar to the wheel but it reminds me of a salt flat type wheel. Looks nice and will look good on your 67. The other choice is too much like stock. Your build is not even close to stock.:D

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, I saw the Heritages on a 67 GTO in a magazine ad.....lookes sweet. JET,I gotta find the widest tires I can fit, and still be 27+ tall for the rear......gotta avoid the rubberband look and anything shorter will look too small....will check the 295......:willy::party:

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Unless the car is real low, a 40 or 45 series tire looks good on a Vette, but is short for a muscle car. It will be a challenge to find a 55 series or so to look right on that car in an 17, or 18. Good luck, your frame company has already done this, so that would be my first stop for rim/tire selection.
Oh, did I tell you your car is awesome and you are my idol!! :cheers

1 - 20 of 34 Posts