Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I raced three different cars today on the way home from work. Just kinda happened bam bam bam.

A guy in a 1983, and I'm sure of the year, Mustang 5.0 was passing a Nissan 240SX that had a fart can on it. The 5.0 threw a rev and you could tell he wanted to run the 240.

I was in the perfect position behind the 5.0 and as we passed the 240 and the car ahead of it, I moved to the right. The 240 moved behind the 5.0 and as we approached a redlight he revved his car. Neither one was paying attention to me.

The element of surprise being what it is, I just got my self ready and double checked for cops.

The light turned green and the Mustang went at it full tilt. So did I and the 240. I quickly put a car then 2 and then 3 on the Mustang and the 240 moved to the right and slowly pulled on the Mustang too.

I moved over to the left and at the next light was staged against the 240SX, the guy kept revving his engine. I took my rpms up and launched perfect. I pulled about a half car on him by the top of 1st and by the top of second it was a full car and starting to open.

At the next light the 240 was behind the first car, a Scion TC, so I stopped back a bit and told him nice run. He ignored me. I moved up to even with the Scion and just got that feeling he was going to run.

Sure enough, the light turned green and he was full tilt into it. He got me by almost a car length and it took me till about 65 or so till I evened it up and started to pull on him. He had a fart can and a K&N sticker.

I'm wondering how these guys feel when their fast cars are beaten by a Cavalier with a full stock mufler and hubcaps. That's got to be frustrating.

Long live the Ecotech.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I raced three different cars today on the way home from work. Just kinda happened bam bam bam.

A guy in a 1983, and I'm sure of the year, Mustang 5.0 was passing a Nissan 240SX that had a fart can on it. The 5.0 threw a rev and you could tell he wanted to run the 240.

I was in the perfect position behind the 5.0 and as we passed the 240 and the car ahead of it, I moved to the right. The 240 moved behind the 5.0 and as we approached a redlight he revved his car. Neither one was paying attention to me.

The element of surprise being what it is, I just got my self ready and double checked for cops.

The light turned green and the Mustang went at it full tilt. So did I and the 240. I quickly put a car then 2 and then 3 on the Mustang and the 240 moved to the right and slowly pulled on the Mustang too.

I moved over to the left and at the next light was staged against the 240SX, the guy kept revving his engine. I took my rpms up and launched perfect. I pulled about a half car on him by the top of 1st and by the top of second it was a full car and starting to open.

At the next light the 240 was behind the first car, a Scion TC, so I stopped back a bit and told him nice run. He ignored me. I moved up to even with the Scion and just got that feeling he was going to run.

Sure enough, the light turned green and he was full tilt into it. He got me by almost a car length and it took me till about 65 or so till I evened it up and started to pull on him. He had a fart can and a K&N sticker.

I'm wondering how these guys feel when their fast cars are beaten by a Cavalier with a full stock mufler and hubcaps. That's got to be frustrating.

Long live the Ecotech.
You got lucky. I hear the new K&N stickers can double a cars power, and in some cases triple.

This is funny, the whole time I'm reading your story I was imagining the camaro, but I guess GM was still all over the road,... only with 2 more doors.
Nice kills.

·
Registered
155 Posts

Long live the Ecotech.
When are you planning to go to the track up here again?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When are you planning to go to the track up here again?
The guy that has the 2007 Mustang GT, A5 that has a catback, intake and tune, just bought 3.73 gears, headers, a different intake and he's going to do a dyno tune when that is done, has challenged me.

My thoughts are, instead of Orlando Spin World that I'll make him drive from Bithlo, 1 mile from the the track, to Gainesville to run the Z28.

My thoughts are that even if he beats the Z, I'll still have the win. I'll move to match him mod for mod then, 3.42 gears instead of the stock 2.73's and headers and a Y-pipe with a dyno tune will put me down into the low 12's and there is no way a bolt on S197 is going to be able to match that.

I still think I'll take him without doing anything. His car ran a 13.6 at 103-104 with his current mods. I've got a couple of 12.7 passes now at 108. He'll take me all the way to the 1000' mark then the little ole LS1 will show the mod motor what it's all about. He needs a full second and gears and headers just won't give him that big of a bump.

Long story short, I'll see you in 2 or 3 weeks. I'll pm you to let you know. Don't worry, I might need the WS6 to have my back.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The guy that has the 2007 Mustang GT, A5 that has a catback, intake and tune, just bought 3.73 gears, headers, a different intake and he's going to do a dyno tune when that is done, has challenged me.

My thoughts are, instead of Orlando Spin World that I'll make him drive from Bithlo, 1 mile from the the track, to Gainesville to run the Z28.

My thoughts are that even if he beats the Z, I'll still have the win. I'll move to match him mod for mod then, 3.42 gears instead of the stock 2.73's and headers and a Y-pipe with a dyno tune will put me down into the low 12's and there is no way a bolt on S197 is going to be able to match that.

I still think I'll take him without doing anything. His car ran a 13.6 at 103-104 with his current mods. I've got a couple of 12.7 passes now at 108. He'll take me all the way to the 1000' mark then the little ole LS1 will show the mod motor what it's all about. He needs a full second and gears and headers just won't give him that big of a bump.

Long story short, I'll see you in 2 or 3 weeks. I'll pm you to let you know. Don't worry, I might need the WS6 to have my back.

Sounds good. I went a couple weeks ago, but I was having issues with my stall converter not locking properly. It is fixed now. I plan on going this Wed if they are open to run down the track a few times. I may take the Goat out there

1 - 11 of 11 Posts