Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've narrowed my oil leak down to my oil filter housing. I've tried 3 times now to get it to stop. I've tried new gaskets, different sealer, and sanding it down to make sure the housing is true. Nothing has worked and it still leaks - but only if I do a high rpm run or 2. Normal driving and it stays dry.

The oil pressure has always been super high (the motor only has 500 miles on it) at around 80 cruising and 40 or so at low rpm so I suspect this is causing the issue. Is there anyone out there that's experienced this and fixed it?

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Why is the oild pressure so high? At 80psi, the filter is being by-passed and the oil is not getting filtered at all. What kind of pump was installed? Sounds like a high pressure pump, and it should be a high volume pump. 80psi cold is OK, but warm, not so much.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll double check what kind of pump was installed. Maybe my gauge is not quite right but even after it's warmed up, at cruising speed it's close to 80.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's the Joe Gibbs 20w50 the engine builder recommended. I thought about going to 10w30 next oil change.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
20w50 is way too thick, unless the builder set the clearances super loose. I would dump the oil, install 10w30, and re-check.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Why is the oild pressure so high? At 80psi, the filter is being by-passed and the oil is not getting filtered at all. What kind of pump was installed? Sounds like a high pressure pump, and it should be a high volume pump. 80psi cold is OK, but warm, not so much.
I have to second what geeteeohguy says. 80PSI is a basically a racing pressure where you have the extra bearing/rod side clearances and will be running high RPM's most of the time. 60PSI is where you really want to be. The 10W-30 oil may help, but I don't think it will drop the pressure 20 pounds. Be careful you don't blow the filter apart on a high RPM blast.

I don't know where you have your oil line hooked up, but the hole/plug next to the distributor is said to give you a more accurate reading -that's where I hook up mine.

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
20w50 is way too thick, unless the builder set the clearances super loose. I would dump the oil, install 10w30, and re-check.
Amen to that! Ditch the 20/50.

Also... it's quite possible when installing the oil pressure switch/sending unit to over-tighten it and crack the housing. (One of those "ask me how I know" things.. :D) Those are pipe threads that get tighter to more you turn them, and that housing is aluminum...

The right way is to use a good pipe thread sealant (teflon tape or other) and snug it "just enough" so that it doesn't leak.

Bear

1 - 8 of 8 Posts