Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just got back from seeing the movie "4 brothers"(btw go see it). wanted to go home and feed the dog before i go out to red lobster with my wife. On the way i got the very low fuel beep. it said i had 3 miles in range i said what ever and kept going i will get gas on may way to red lobster. feed the dog got back in the car went 1 mile from the house and :willy: ran out of gas :rolleyes: . saw a cop and ask for a lift back to the house to get the truck and the red can. so goat owner's when u get the beep belive it or not :cool i no now :cheers

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
EEZ GOAT said:
just got back from seeing the movie "4 brothers"(btw go see it). wanted to go home and feed the dog before i got out to red lobster with my wife. On the way i got the very low fuel beep. it said i had 3 miles in range i said what ever and kept going i will get gas on may way to red lobster. feed the dog got back in the car went 1 mile from the house and :willy: ran out of gas :rolleyes: . saw a cop and ask for a lift back to the house to get the truck and the red can. so goat owner's when u get the beep belive it or not :cool i no now :cheers
I never let the tank get below half. I learned this from my dad.... after I got my drivers license, I used to use his VW bug. Every time I got in that damn thing it was on empty. I mean every time. I was always going to a gas station to put gas in it.

Back in 76' we were going thru the same thing we're going thru now with the gas crunch. I only made 2.00 an hour part time so I had to squeeze money to put it in the gas tank..... Smart move on my Dad's part. he got gassed up by me. I get an anxiety attack when I see the needle go to 1/4 tank :willy:

I've always made it a habit of refilling at 1/2 tank. In the goat, I find myself topping it off when it's down 1/4 to 1/2 tank. I generally put 5-7 gallons at a time in it. I do this because the price keeps going up around here. There are days the prices jumps 10 cents a gallon. It falls 3-4 cents and goes up another 8 or so cents. Stations are playing games here. So I try to keep mine topped. I hope I never run out. My Dad taught me a lesson. Even though I always had to fill that damn beetle up for him, it taught me not to let the fuel level fall too low.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Here is a big OOPS... the other day I had about half tank and decided to fill it up before the weekend jump in prices. I went to a Shell station and I really wasn't paying attention. They had a pump that said something like 100 octane over it and thats about all I read (stupid I know). I didn't look at price or anything else and started filling up. This particular station also sells racing fuel so I thought a few gallons wouldn't hurt. Turned out after a couple gallons were in the tank, I realized it was E85. I shut it off immediately and moved to another pump, filling up with regular gasoline. The car ran beautifully, I even gained a couple mpg. So I thought I was out of the woods until today. Damn thing went into LIMP mode.. To make matters worse, as I was driving home a new Charger wanted to play around and my acceleration was comparable to Chevy Aveo... I d/c the battery and filled up again today with regular fuel, no ethanol added. Seems to have done the trick.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
The_Goat said:
Here is a big OOPS... the other day I had about half tank and decided to fill it up before the weekend jump in prices. I went to a Shell station and I really wasn't paying attention. They had a pump that said something like 100 octane over it and thats about all I read (stupid I know). I didn't look at price or anything else and started filling up. This particular station also sells racing fuel so I thought a few gallons wouldn't hurt. Turned out after a couple gallons were in the tank, I realized it was E85. I shut it off immediately and moved to another pump, filling up with regular gasoline. The car ran beautifully, I even gained a couple mpg. So I thought I was out of the woods until today. Damn thing went into LIMP mode.. To make matters worse, as I was driving home a new Charger wanted to play around and my acceleration was comparable to Chevy Aveo... I d/c the battery and filled up again today with regular fuel, no ethanol added. Seems to have done the trick.
Could have been worse. I have a friend that filled his old Triumph Spitfire with diesel. The car had a regular leaded fill nozzle so the diesel fit right in. He didn't figure it out till he had 7 gallons in it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Bummer. I try not to let any of my cars get below 1/4 tank. I only heard the "low fuel" beep once, and stopped for gas immediately.

·
Registered
24 Posts
rworkman98 said:
Bummer. I try not to let any of my cars get below 1/4 tank. I only heard the "low fuel" beep once, and stopped for gas immediately.

"Low Fuel" beep? Hmph!!! Childsplay!

If you keep going for a few more miles, you'll get the (not kidding) "Very Low Fuel" beep. That's about when I decide it's time to quit messing around and feed the goat before it gets real mad.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Low Fuel light is a mild suggestion, and the very low fuel light means that you might want to put some thought into it. But seriously, I have at least three or four times driving around after the range is at 0. I have never had the problem of running out of gas, but sometimes the fuel gauge doesnt go to full. I have had the cluster replaced two times, and the fuel level sensor replaced also, so I may have other issues, somewhere else. :cheers

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
wwroller said:
"Low Fuel" beep? Hmph!!! Childsplay!

If you keep going for a few more miles, you'll get the (not kidding) "Very Low Fuel" beep. That's about when I decide it's time to quit messing around and feed the goat before it gets real mad.

LOLOLOL Childs play :lol:

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when Kramer was test driving a car and they went the distance and it ran out of gas on the freeway. He decided he wasn't interested in it. Left the salesman in the passenger seat as he scampered off... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GTODEALER2 said:
Low Fuel light is a mild suggestion, and the very low fuel light means that you might want to put some thought into it. But seriously, I have at least three or four times driving around after the range is at 0. I have never had the problem of running out of gas, but sometimes the fuel gauge doesnt go to full. I have had the cluster replaced two times, and the fuel level sensor replaced also, so I may have other issues, somewhere else. :cheers
i have notice that when i fill up the pump will stop but it will not be full :shutme

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
:eek:
04gtolover said:
your pump gets it lubrication from the fuel in the tank so its also not good for the pump to be run that low. :cheers
not my pump. The gas station pump. it will stop,but the gauge will not say full. i hate when that happens. i will not start it again. i guess i will have to pump and then look at the gauge :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.