Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I head out to get a sunday paper and to check the mailbox at the Post Office. The small town that I live in is really proud of their community. So right in front of the municipal building they widened the road by 6 feet and put a concrete median in tapered up to 6 inches high. The road jogs right about 3 feet then back left as you pass the building. It is not painted at all.
You hear this coming, as I got to the median a wasp flew in. I swatted it out of the car and looked back in time to hear and feal the crunch of the left front hitting the median. I pulled over and got out to look at the car. No body damage so the front fascia cleared the median, but the front end sat real low. I pushed down and there was no give. From looking underneath the strut is definately busted. I think the spring might be as well plus whatever is bent. I tried to drive it to the Pontiac dealer about a mile and a half, but after a 1/4 mile the tire was smoking from rubbing so I stopped. Fortunately I got towing/roadside assistance with this renewal of the insurance. Called them and 1 hour later my car is sitting in the dealers parking lot.
While I was at the municipal building I looked at this median. There was about 30 deep gouges in it, so I wasn't the only one to do this. Not that it would have helped me but they should paint the thing yellow. The tow truck driver told me he gets at least 1 call a month to tow somebody that has hit this thing.

G

·
Make a claim to the town, if there are previous occurances, (Tow Truck Drivers Statement) then they should be leagally responsible for it.

You may not get anywhere even if you do have legal standing, but it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Several people at work told me the town is being sued by a group. They gave me the law firm's name. I'm going to contact them tommorrow. There is nothing reflective at all, or any type of paint to differentiate the median from the road. No signs, and the painted lines end at the median. There have even been newspaper articles about how dangerous this median is. A person hit it not long after it was installed and lost control of their car and had a serious accident.
On a brighter side the damage was a bent rim, a broken strut mount, a broken strut, a broken spring and the tire damaged. Including alignment of all four wheels the total is $1030, but this does not include the tire. They wanted 230 for the 1 crappy BFG. I ordered tires from the Tire Rack. Goodyear F1 GS. Got those for 159 ea. I was down to 3/32 rear and 4/32 front, so it was time anyhow. It needed an alignment as well, so I'm not feeling all that bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.