Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I'm overseas in Japan for the next 3-4 years minimum. The GTO is back in Texas with my pops. I've heard muscle cars go for a good chunk of change here. I can get it shipped over for free. I wouldn't take less than $35K for her and I'm starting at $40k. The plan would be to sell for 35-40K, put 20-25K away, pocket the remaining and when I get back stateside look for another 65-66 tripower. First here is what the car currently has on it and what I've done.

66 Pontiac GTO. Original 389 tripower (was originally a 4 barrel), rebuilt in June 2013 with forged pistons. 4 speed manual, 3.55 rearend. Stock drum brakes all around, no ac, no power steering. Using MSD ignition box and drop in distributor. 3 core aluminum radiator with electric fan. I have the stock radiator and fan to go back to belt driven. 100a alternator, single wire, red top optima battery. Oil changes have been done every 6 months, only ran on premium fuel. New paint done in April 2014, original color. AM radio has new internals to allow AM/FM/AUX. Kick panels have been replaced with panels with kicker component speakers. Still have stock kick panels. Currently running 2 crossfire amps, 1 for fronts, 1 for rear 6x9s in rear dash. Original interior with bucket seats. Has the rare driver/passenger GM lap seat belts. Added lap seat belts to rear seat. Original center console, with original Hurst shifter. Added rpm gauge in empty gauge location, added oil, water, voltage gauge under radio. Only interior items that have been replaced are the rear dash pad, headliner, door seals. Minor issues on interior: rear seat side panel minor tear, rear window handle broken (have replacement), chip around ignition on wood panel, center console door loose. Entire floor has been heat/sound deadened, under carpet. No rust anywhere.

Tons of spare parts, headlight bezels, Oppenheimer manifold with 4 barrel carb, fan, fan shroud, interior parts, radiator, etc...

So my question 1st is am I asking enough to buy another in this condition? If I can pocket 5K+ and still be able to get another that needs minor work and is close to original.

Is this something that any of you would do if you if you could sell for more than you could get in the US and be able to buy another is just as good condition?

Obviously I wouldn't ship it unless I have a guaranteed buyer.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I would not ship it there until you have a buyer's deposit. Even though you can get it shipped free, I would not want to have to worry about keeping it somewhere there.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I don't see the point....unless you want to drive the GTO while in Japan. You would be hard pressed to find a comparable GTO in like condition for 40k or so in a few years when you get back here. So, it sounds like you want to take your known-good GTO, ship it to Japan, sell it for 35-40k, and then come back stateside and try to find another one just like it for 35 or 40k?

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
^ X1000 ^

As much as you've done to your car you know it too well. You will be disappointed in anything "less" than what you've sold. Set it up properly for storage in a clean, dry, critter free safe place, drain all the fluids and she'll be waiting for you when you return.

JMO unless you could absolutely make a killing on it over there (50-70K? :wink2:) I would keep it if it is truly the car you want.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Where is gto being stored in usa

Wanted to factor in where and under what conditions is your GTO being stored?
You will be away PCS for 3 years and what is cost to store your car.
Will it be in the same physical condition when you return as it is currently?
Step back and look at the "big picture" and you will come to the right solution and answer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would keep it. You have a great car waiting for you when you get back. You won't have the stress of shipping and selling, and then it's gone! I sold a 68 GTO drop top in 2008 in great condition but my $$ circumstances forced me too. If you don't need the $$$ don't sell!!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wanted to factor in where and under what conditions is your GTO being stored?
You will be away PCS for 3 years and what is cost to store your car.
Will it be in the same physical condition when you return as it is currently?
Step back and look at the "big picture" and you will come to the right solution and answer.
She's with my dad in Texas, well taken care of. No storage fees. After talking to a couple people that have sold American muscle here, its just not worth it anymore. It was about 5-6 years ago, but that ship sailed. I'd have to pay 6-8 grand to get it here and to get it registered. But I was thinking I could buy another for 20-25K when I got back, not 35-40. But it looks like prices have increased a lot since I last looked.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
No such thing as a decent 20-25k '66 GTO in my neck of the woods for quite awhile. 20k will get you a good solid core car that needs a 40k restoration. Keep. Your. Car.

·
Registered
183 Posts
It was only sometime in the mid to late 60's that seat belts became standard equipment on all passenger cars. I'm not sure what year, but possibly 66 was a transition year? I looked at a 64 Oldsmobile Jetstar 88 that only had belts in the front. I was told by the 2nd owner that his aunt had them installed at the dealer when she picked up the car new. She did not bother with the backseat since her children were already grown.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Curiosity finally forces me to ask you to explain what the "rare driver/passenger GM lap seat belts" are.

Also, did your car not come with rear seat belts?
LOL, I actually think they are the seatbelts from a 67. The black ones with the carriage on them. I don't think they really are, but was going to put it in my ad here. No mine didnt come with rear seatbelts, but had the bolts for them. I think someone that owned it before me just took them out.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
'65 was the last year of optional seatbelts. Mine was delivered with none. IN '66, all GTO's got front and rear belts, standard. I think Alky is correct: the Oppenheimer manifold is solid cast aluminum with filled in runners, so that the car can not get its fuel/air charge to run. No running means saving a TON of money on fuel, tires, and maintenance. Money to put towards retirement!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts