Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
........just got an estimate from the machine shop to rebuild my original 67 GTO 400cc engine.....$11,300 - $7,600 labor, $3,700 parts, the most expensive of each in parentheses below. Estimate is almost twice what they told me on the phone pre-inspection.

Anyone have experience with recent engine rebuild costs?

TIA for anyone's input.

Parts List
OIL PUMP
OIL PUMP DRIVE
TIMING SET
GASKET SET
ROCKER ARMS
PUSH RODS 8.245
CAM/LIFTER KIT
CUSTOM PISTONS W/RINGS ($1,190)
ROD BEARINGS
MAIN BEARINGS
CAM BEARINGS
BLOCK PLUG KIT
VALVE SEAT INSERT
VALVE GUIDE INSERT
VALVE SEALS
VALVE SPRINGS
INTAKE VALVE
EXHAUST VALVE
VALVE LOCKS
NGK SPARK PLUG
WATER PUMP PLATE
DIPSTICK TUBE
VALVE COVER GASKET & HARDWARE Q-JET BASE GASKET
VALLEY PAN BOLTS W/WASHERS
TIMING COVER BOLTS REAR MAIN SEAL
ROCKER ARM STUDS ROCKER ARM POLY LOCKS EXH MANIFOLD BOLT KIT JOE GIBBS BREAK-IN OIL OIL FILTER
G1015-1 ENGINE LIFT PLATE ENGINE SKID
PAINT & MATERIALS

Labor
DISMANTLE/EVALUATE ($525)
BAKE/BLAST/ CYLINDER BLOCK
MAGNAFLUX CYLINDER BLOCK
RESIZE CYLINDERS .030
SQUARE & DECK CYLINDER BLOCK
ALIGN HONE CYLINDER BLOCK
JET WASH/FINAL CLEAN CYLINDER BLOCK R&R CAM BEARINGS
R&R BLOCK PLUG KIT
BALANCE ASSEMBLY REGRIND/RADIUS/MICROPOLISH CRANKSHAFT 10/10
JETWASH/FINAL CLEAN CRANKSHAFT
R&R PISTON/ROD
RESIZE CONNECTING ROD
MAGNAFLUX RODS
JETWASH/FINAL CLEAN CONNECTING ROD SET BAKE/BLAST CYLINDER HEAD
MAGNAFLUX CYLINDER HEAD
REFACE VALVES & SEATS
INSTALL & FIT VALVE GUIDE
RESURFACE CYLINDER HEAD
INSTALL VALVE SEAT
MACHINE FOR POSITIVE SEAL UPDATE JETWASH/FINAL CLEAN ASS'T COMPONENTS RECONDITION EXHAUST MANIFOLD
PAINT ENGINE
ASSEMBLE ENGINE ($1,500)
DYNO ENGINE ($1,350)

· Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
5,311 Posts
........just got an estimate from the machine shop to rebuild my original 67 GTO 400cc engine.....$11,300 - $7,600 labor, $3,700 parts, the most expensive of each in parentheses below. Estimate is almost twice what they told me on the phone pre-inspection.

Anyone have experience with recent engine rebuild costs?

TIA for anyone's input.

Parts List
OIL PUMP
OIL PUMP DRIVE
TIMING SET
GASKET SET
ROCKER ARMS
PUSH RODS 8.245
CAM/LIFTER KIT
CUSTOM PISTONS W/RINGS ($1,190)
ROD BEARINGS
MAIN BEARINGS
CAM BEARINGS
BLOCK PLUG KIT
VALVE SEAT INSERT
VALVE GUIDE INSERT
VALVE SEALS
VALVE SPRINGS
INTAKE VALVE
EXHAUST VALVE
VALVE LOCKS
NGK SPARK PLUG
WATER PUMP PLATE
DIPSTICK TUBE
VALVE COVER GASKET & HARDWARE Q-JET BASE GASKET
VALLEY PAN BOLTS W/WASHERS
TIMING COVER BOLTS REAR MAIN SEAL
ROCKER ARM STUDS ROCKER ARM POLY LOCKS EXH MANIFOLD BOLT KIT JOE GIBBS BREAK-IN OIL OIL FILTER
G1015-1 ENGINE LIFT PLATE ENGINE SKID
PAINT & MATERIALS

Labor
DISMANTLE/EVALUATE ($525)
BAKE/BLAST/ CYLINDER BLOCK
MAGNAFLUX CYLINDER BLOCK
RESIZE CYLINDERS .030
SQUARE & DECK CYLINDER BLOCK
ALIGN HONE CYLINDER BLOCK
JET WASH/FINAL CLEAN CYLINDER BLOCK R&R CAM BEARINGS
R&R BLOCK PLUG KIT
BALANCE ASSEMBLY REGRIND/RADIUS/MICROPOLISH CRANKSHAFT 10/10
JETWASH/FINAL CLEAN CRANKSHAFT
R&R PISTON/ROD
RESIZE CONNECTING ROD
MAGNAFLUX RODS
JETWASH/FINAL CLEAN CONNECTING ROD SET BAKE/BLAST CYLINDER HEAD
MAGNAFLUX CYLINDER HEAD
REFACE VALVES & SEATS
INSTALL & FIT VALVE GUIDE
RESURFACE CYLINDER HEAD
INSTALL VALVE SEAT
MACHINE FOR POSITIVE SEAL UPDATE JETWASH/FINAL CLEAN ASS'T COMPONENTS RECONDITION EXHAUST MANIFOLD
PAINT ENGINE
ASSEMBLE ENGINE ($1,500)
DYNO ENGINE ($1,350)
I would laugh in their face. Even if it's legit, the way that they're presenting it is just a joke. Where are you located?

Apparently you're paying $525, just for this estimate?

My original 67/ 400 was rebuilt in 2014, for $7500, with nearly the same parts. Im surprised that they're not charging you for any air that might seep into the cylinders, while they're working on it.

Sure, with covid and inflation, prices are up, but $525 for an estimate is just sad

· Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
5,311 Posts
Check out Len Williams - i just ordered a 400ci Long Block; others from this forum had suggested him vs Butler which is more expensive and 12months+. Ordered mine in Dec and he quoted me 6 months; you don't have to provide a core but i suspect he could work with yours - Len Williams Auto Machine
PRICE?

· Registered
1967 Pontiac GTO hardtop. TH400
74 Posts
I agree that you should check out Len Williams. I called him back in July last year and he seemed reasonable for the build time and quality. I'm currently having a 461 stroker engine built by someone local to me. Everything basically new except for reuse of timing chain cover and a few other miscellaneous parts. In the end, it will be around 13K (9k in parts and about 4K in labor).

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would laugh in their face. Even if it's legit, the way that they're presenting it is just a joke. Where are you located?

Apparently you're paying $525, just for this estimate?

My original 67/ 400 was rebuilt in 2014, for $7500, with nearly the same parts. Im surprised that they're not charging you for any air that might seep into the cylinders, while they're working on it.

Sure, with covid and inflation, prices are up, but $525 for an estimate is just sad
Located an hour north of Boston in coastal NH.

· Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
5,311 Posts
DYNO ENGINE ($1,350) How much power is he guaranteeing? Are you running boost?

Never seen valve cover gaskets/ hardware , valley pan bolts called out on a rebuild. Where are the oil pan bolts?

Is this the price without any surprises?
Okay, I just called his machine shop and confirmed. The last Golden Ticket was apparently a forgery, so there's still a fifth ticket out there, and they believe it to be inside a Pontiac 400, and not a Wonka Scrumdidlyumptious.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree that you should check out Len Williams. I called him back in July last year and he seemed reasonable for the build time and quality. I'm currently having a 461 stroker engine built by someone local to me. Everything basically new except for reuse of timing chain cover and a few other miscellaneous parts. In the end, it will be around 13K (9k in parts and about 4K in labor).
Where is Len Williams located?

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you were a bit closer, I would rip it down and send it out to get machined.

IMO, that estimate is about $1500-$2000 high, but it's tough to say with this damn economy.

Im more concerned with their integrity, at this point, than the price.
The shop (R & L Engines, Dover, NH) has been around 30 years and has a very good rep regionally specializing in big block GM engines.......willing to pay a premium for the rep but $11,300 seems high even with inflation.......limited options around here.

· Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
5,311 Posts
The shop (R & L Engines, Dover, NH) has been around 30 years and has a very good rep regionally specializing in big block GM engines.......willing to pay a premium for the rep but $11,300 seems high even with inflation.......limited options around here.
Paying a premium isnt the issue... Im all about getting what you pay for... I just dont see that being the case.

I just checked, and a set of .030" Sealed Power Forged Pistons, with Chromoly rings is $500... so if you ask me, they're charging you full retail on the parts... In other words, they're going to make a $7600 profit on labor, and then another $1500 or more on parts!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts