Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 400 out a 68 GTO in my 76 Firebird Formula. I did this swap about 25 years ago.

I am contemplating selling the car. My question is: does it make more sense to sell the engine in the car as a package or to sell the engine alone? I realize this engine would be of interest to someone who is restoring a 68 GTO.

A follow up question then, is what would the engine be worth? Ballpark would help me determine which route to go.

The engine was supposedly rebuilt 35k miles ago when I bought it. I have no papers or any way to prove it other than it runs great. I would think a freshening up would be good for it however.

The block casting number is 9790071 and it is a WT code. I understand this to be a 350 HP GTO engine for a manual trans (which it came with when I bought it, but subsequently sold... Oddly enough it was a Ford 3 speed, which was rare).

The heads are c128, which is a date code of March 12, 1968.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I would suggest spending some $$$ to make some. Get another generic Pontiac engine to replace the 68 400 and sell the car running. Once done you could then do a thorough inspection like a leak down, compression test, coolant pressure test (before removal from the car), maybe even check the tension on the valve springs. Record all of your findings on an easy to understand sheet that also has the numbers on it that matter. Assuming a clean bill of health you can restore it's outward appearance so it's ready to install. It will still be a "used engine" vs something that's fully rebuilt, but no worries of break in time and other fresh engine woes would exist. I would ask $1500 or best offer at that point and advertise it where folks would be looking for such a thing. You didn't specify, but if it has the OEM intake and carb along with proper exhaust manifolds it should be an easy sell. If has aftermarket parts (aluminum intake, Holley carb, etc) the price should be lowered accordingly. Then again you might find a 68 GTO project that needs and engine and have the $$$$ from the Formula to shag it up (!). You asked...

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Sounds like more work than it is worth to me. You are not sitting on a gold mine with the 68 400. It does not necessarily improve the value of a 68 GTO to have a 68 400 in it that does not match the VIN. Don't get me wrong... you have a good engine, but if you are looking to make a big bag of money, I think you will be disappointed. This is with the assumption that your time to do all of this is worth something. Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts