Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! so previous owner took off the original headers and put on some lousy none original aftermarket headers that have been welded multiple times. When I bought the car they gave me the original ones. however they are in bad shape . The bolts are frozen in their and their all surface rusted. Does anyone know someone or somewhere I can send them to, to get restored and useable again? Thank you

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
GTO's did not come with headers. Just exhaust manifolds or RAM AIR manifolds. Headers are aftermarket.
:agree

The casting numbers for GTO exhaust manifolds in 67 are 9779032 (LEFT) and 9779328 (RIGHT).

The casting number for Ram Air and 360hp exhaust manifolds in 67 are 9777646 (LEFT) and 9777641 (RIGHT).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry guys that's what I meant exhaust manifolds. I was thinking of headers because that's whats on their now but I have the originals im looking to get redone. There in pretty bad shape.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I bead blasted mine and painted them with stove paint. They still look new 4 years and 5000 miles later. But they weren't pitted...just surface rust.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I agree with GeeTee about the bead blasting, but I have found a product that I believe works even better than stove paint. It's called Calyx Manifold Dressing. That stuff works fantastic! Your manifolds will look like new and last indefinitely. The additional benefit is that it works on all your cast iron pieces.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys info is helpful. any ideas on some stuck bolts or lugs that are on them?

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Thanks guys info is helpful. any ideas on some stuck bolts or lugs that are on them?
Heat, you need a torch, heat them up 1 @ a time till the ears are red hot (trying not to heat the stud), then use a stud removal tool to get them out. Use a tap to clean up the threads before installing new studs.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Run them through an electrolysis process. I have instructions in a restoration book, or simply Google the process. I have never tried it, but looks like a pretty slick process on old rusty iron. All you need is a battery charger and a tub of water.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Also, before you try the torch (which is a surefire way), I would soak the stud in penetrating oil for a few days, and periodically tap on it with a hammer. You may get off easy and be able to twist it out with vise grips. It happens sometimes!

·
Registered
659 Posts
You could soak them in a 50/50 mixture of hydrochloric acid (sold as concrete cleaner at the hardware stores) and water, but remember always pour acid into water, never pour water into acid. Let them soak for a couple of hours, checking on them now and again to check progress. When you think the major rust is gone (don't soak them until every bit is gone, it will eat the cast iron) take them out a throw them in a bucket with baking soda and water to nutralize the acid, then a rinse in clean water. WEAR GLOVES.

·
Registered
714 Posts
FYI...Typical concrete formulation is usually Muriatic acid which is a derivative of Hydrochloric acid. It's a formulation which is usually much safer to work with and you can get it at most hardware stores, including Ace.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts