Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am the original owner of a 1965 GTO convertible, and I would like to determine if the car still exists. I do not know the car's VIN. However, with the following information, maybe someone can help. The only thing that I have is a cardboard tube with a 5 small posters and a spec sheet that I received from Pontiac.
'65 convertible
Bluemist Slate with black interior and black top
360hp engine
4 speed with console
Safe-T-Track 3.55 rearend
Rally gauges
AM radio
Whitewall Firestone tires
Standard wheel covers
no power options
Ordered from a dealer in New York state and picked up at the factory in Pontiac, MI the Saturday before Christmas 1964. In 1969, I traded it in for a more family friendly 1967 Olds 98, at a dealer in Fargo ND. At that time, it had glass-pack mufflers, 5 spoke cast aluminum (mag) wheels, splitter exhaust tips, add-on AC and a trailer hitch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I realize that it is a "needle in a haystack" situation. If I had access to the PHS database, with the information that I know, I may be able to determine the car's VIN. Otherwise, there's a very slim possibility that someone reading this forum could help.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
I realize that it is a "needle in a haystack" situation. If I had access to the PHS database, with the information that I know, I may be able to determine the car's VIN. Otherwise, there's a very slim possibility that someone reading this forum could help.

Unfortunately, without the VIN, chances of finding are very slim. You could also post your information on "GTO Alley." I was in the same boat as you and have not been able to find my "old one." Good luck.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
I agree. Need a VIN for sure. Did it have any unique features? A burn in a seat, a scratch/ding, a custom add-on?? Also, if the car was sold in ND, the liklihood of it surviving is not good.....In '69, it was merely a used car....although one with PIZAZZ!!

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Crusty, I removed a hitch from my own '65 (tripower 4 speed) after I bought it....and my 4-speed, 440 powered '66 Coronet had one too. Back in "the day" a LOT of these cars towed boats and race cars. Another '65 ragtop I almost bought had a hitch....it was a tripower 4 speed car, too. It seems that since the late '70's, most towing has been done by pickup trucks, as they became "mainstream" transportation. When I was a kid in the '60's, the only people who drove pickup trucks were plumbers and gardeners..and pickup trucks were bare-bones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts