Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make a long story short I had to pull my motor and do the bearings top to bottom because of a missing lobe on #7. My problem is I have not done this sort of work in years... 20 + years! In my obsession to clean and prep and maticulously re-assemble the car I forgot to install the small lower tube section for the dip stick that guides the stick through the windage tray.

So I have a question for anyone who has experience this oh cr&p themselves. Is there a way short of pulling this engine out and redoing the pan gaskets to get this dip stck to actually measure oil for me?

currently it just slides in along the W tray and comes out dry.:confused

(motor / 1972 455 Y block, .040 over, steel crank and rods, KB pistons and a Comp 223-4 cam roller rockers)

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
I am by no means an authority on this but reading your post it suggests to me the tube is not properly seated down the entire way in the W-tray and because of this the dip stick is not reading oil level properly. One of the more astute on here can direct you on repositioning without too much fanfare.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well... not exactly

The assembly is two pieces. At least that is what came out of the motor as I disassembled it. Now I wonder if the wrong tube and stick may be the first problem. It is chrome, obviously something the previous owner thought might add horsepower...:lol:

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
The other job that little tube does is it make sure the end of the dipstick can't wiggle around and get into the crank. I'd be real hesitant to run without it.

Bear

·
Registered
221 Posts
:agree....I have a buddy with a 455 in a 68 GTO where the tube fell out. He still drove it and the dipstick got all wadded up by the crank. Had to pull the motor and buy a new dipstick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Truth hurts

Well I suppose I was hoping for some sort of old school fix to get a dipstick down through that windage tray.
But truth hurts... and one mistake does not warrent a second I guess. I just really hate when I make such small/major mistakes when simple patience and attention could have avoided it.

Thanks everyone who weighed in!:agree

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Dont' feel too bad. We've all done it...that's how we learn NEVER to do it again! Yes, pull the engine and install the tube. No way around it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts