Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am looking at many GTOs on the internet, which are all over the country. If I purchased a 1966 GTO from outside of California, of course I would have to pay sales tax here. In addition to that, is there any smog requirement or any other requirement I have to comply with, in order to bring the 1966 GTO to California and to register it here? I know we have the craziest laws here, so I would just like to be prepared. Thank you very much for any help with answering. Take Care,
Chris

·
Registered
400 Posts
California only requires cars from 1975 and newer to comply with smog. Any car older than 1974 is smog exempt. I have purchased several cars from out of state (both older classics and newer cars) and the smog issue only pops up on newer cars.

the last time I purchased a Chevelle from out of state, the DMV person just came out to the car, looked at teh VIN and a quick visual inspection of the engine, then asked me to crank the car over. Other than that, there were no other inspections.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Your car will be "exempt", but all '66 up cars are STILL required to have their "born with" smog equipment. That said, all a Federal GTO will have is PCV.....which is a good thing. When I imported my '67 GTO (Tennessee car) in 1983, I had to pay a "polluter" tax of $300, and the car had to be smogged. But that was then. Don't know if the import "fine" still exists!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts