Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Depends on the track conditions mostly.

With a sticky track I launched at 2000-2500 rpms with a fairly quick take-up on the clutch and a fairly quick feather of the go pedal to the floor. I usually cut a 2.0x 60' on street tires at 25psi.

With a poorly prepared track anywhere from 1200-1800 rpms and I tend to slip the clutch more to regulate wheelspin. I can still get a 2.0x, but instead of 2.01 it's more like 2.08-2.09.

This is one of the hardest cars I've ever launched at a strip. The threshold for blowing the launch is a razor thin line, and it's tough to balance it on that point. I think it's a combo of softer suspension and bushings, narrow tires and lots of torque.

·
Registered
305 Posts
As high as the tires can handle without spinning too much :D

In my experience, you want to turn off the T/C and launch at around 2,500 to 3,000. Any higher and the tires will be breaking loose too much.

Are you driving an auto or M6? For me in my M6, I like to listen to the tires as I'm launching. Roll the windows down, turn off the stereo and listen to the sound of the tires just holding pavement as you throttle up. Less breaking loose sound = more throttle. Too much breaking loose = slower throttle.

Shift around 5,500 to 6,000. Stock torque diminishes to the point after that rpm that you're better off starting the next gear anyway.

Got a spot here in town where I routinely check 0-60 times on myself and find this is my best launch technique

·
Registered
937 Posts
MeanGoat said:
As high as the tires can handle without spinning too much :D

In my experience, you want to turn off the T/C and launch at around 2,500 to 3,000. Any higher and the tires will be breaking loose too much.

Are you driving an auto or M6? For me in my M6, I like to listen to the tires as I'm launching. Roll the windows down, turn off the stereo and listen to the sound of the tires just holding pavement as you throttle up. Less breaking loose sound = more throttle. Too much breaking loose = slower throttle.

Shift around 5,500 to 6,000. Stock torque diminishes to the point after that rpm that you're better off starting the next gear anyway.

Got a spot here in town where I routinely check 0-60 times on myself and find this is my best launch technique
:agree I was trying to listen to the wheelspin myself but the track here wont let you line up unless your windows are rolled up.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
JMVorbeck said:
:agree I was trying to listen to the wheelspin myself but the track here wont let you line up unless your windows are rolled up.
I haven't been to a track that would let you run with your windows down. I'm not sure why either, they let guys in Vipers run with the top down and they let cobras and Cobra replicas run without tops. After the first time or two of trying I gave up.

·
501 RWHP & 469 RWTQ
230 Posts
I am running MT ET streets and I launch at 4000 to 4500rpm. The car hooks excellent. No tire spin or wheeel hop with a good burnout. Short times of 1.60's to 1.70's. You need MT ET streets or some sort of slick compared to street tires or drag radials.

:eek:

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
fergyflyer said:
Depends on the track conditions mostly.

With a sticky track I launched at 2000-2500 rpms with a fairly quick take-up on the clutch and a fairly quick feather of the go pedal to the floor. I usually cut a 2.0x 60' on street tires at 25psi.

With a poorly prepared track anywhere from 1200-1800 rpms and I tend to slip the clutch more to regulate wheelspin. I can still get a 2.0x, but instead of 2.01 it's more like 2.08-2.09.

This is one of the hardest cars I've ever launched at a strip. The threshold for blowing the launch is a razor thin line, and it's tough to balance it on that point. I think it's a combo of softer suspension and bushings, narrow tires and lots of torque.
that's what i've done with Nitto DRs but at 20# pressure. it's gotten me as low as a 1.883 60'

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.