Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother has a 2002 trans am ws6, and the other day we came home from a ride in about 85 degree weather and he was sitting in the driveway and his temp spiked from normal temp all the way to red zone. He replaced his thermostat thinking that was what caused it, and took it out again only to have the same problem. We noticed that his fans dont kick on at all even when its over normal operating temp.. could this be a electrical issue or a bad water pump?

Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Definitely sounds like the fans. Do they come on when the AC is running? I am not sure about the Trans Am, but in my vette, once the AC is turned on, the fans automatically come on. This is true for many cars--Even my wife's VW Passat. I would have someone check out the fans and possibly reprogram them to come on a bit earlier. Good Luck!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I know this sounds stupid, but make sure the little airdam mounted below the radiator is still there. You know, the one that curbs always seem to find.
This little piece of plastic that runs across the bottom in front should only affect temperature at speed:confused , but a long series of component replacement and testing proves the opposite. In other words my buddy's T/A would spike the temp gauge at stoplights, yet cool to 210 while cruising.:cheers

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
RipTheSix said:
My brother has a 2002 trans am ws6, and the other day we came home from a ride in about 85 degree weather and he was sitting in the driveway and his temp spiked from normal temp all the way to red zone. He replaced his thermostat thinking that was what caused it, and took it out again only to have the same problem. We noticed that his fans dont kick on at all even when its over normal operating temp.. could this be a electrical issue or a bad water pump?

Thanks
I know this sounds odd, but if his fans arn't coming on, when the car starts to run hot, go out and "tap" the fans with a hammer. When a fan motor wears out they will bind and not start when powered to do so by the car's computer. A small tap will free it(if a bad fan motor is your overheat problem). If this works, replace the fan motor. Otherwise, if your not losing coolant I'd look twords a bad coolant temp sensor. I've seen both these go bad, especially on a high milage GM.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.