Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago my 2005 GTO was overheating because of a hole in my radiator. So i put in a new radiator,and thermostat and reservoir cap. I checked all the hoses and none were leaking. So yesterday im on the freeway and the thing starts to heat up again.There is some smoke coming out of the front so I pulled over and turned it off. Looked under the car for a leak and nothing came out. I waited ten minutes turned it on and looked for a leak again. nothing. I looked in the reservoir and it was full.i checked all the hoses, they were fine. Only thing i can think of is possibly the water pump, but theres no leak on the pump so i figure its fine. At the same time this happened my pulley belt starts having some crazy squeel. I dont know if they are even correlated, but im taking it to the shop today, and want to see if its something i could fix, or need some major work. hopefully its minor. any ideas would be appreciated so i can haggle the price with the mechanic. thanks.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Are you sure the cooling system is full? And there's no trapped air? From the service manual:
•Slowly fill the cooling system through the upper radiator hose with a 50/50 coolant mixture until the coolant comes out the coolant air bleed hose.
•Fill the radiator with coolant through the surge tank opening to the full line.
•Install the radiator cap.
•Start the engine.
•Run the engine at 2,000-2,500 RPM until the engine reaches normal operating temperature.
•Allow the engine to idle for 3 minutes.
•Shut the engine OFF.
•Allow the engine to cool.
•Top off the coolant as necessary.
•Inspect the concentration of the engine coolant.
•Rinse away any excess coolant from the engine and the engine compartment.
•Inspect the cooling system for leaks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'll check out the rez. level again. I did all of that originally but maybe i missed a step. I checked the radiator fluid dipstick and it also marked full. I'll throw some more 50/50 in hope it helps. thanks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sounds like she needs to burp. Is she blowing heat when the engine is above operating temp and nearing the red? I had air in my system and had to pump the gas a few times as it reached operating temp to start coolant flow. Burped the system and it fixed it. Mine never reached the red mark though, so I could be wrong about yours. Just my 2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts