Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 gto ls2 temp was spiking until got temp warning light and service oil light then car shut off had it towed to chevy they thought it was a blown head gasket but were not sure. It has always leaked coolant from the bottom of the reservoir when radiator is above 3/4 full. Replaced thermostat and radiator cap and still overheating especially at idle, when it's hot I cant even squeeze the lower hose by the thermostat. Could it be the water pump not producing enough pressure to open the thermostat?

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
Thermo opens by temperature not pressure. Water pumps generally fail by leaking. Having it overheat, oil light and shutting off doesn't sound good at all. Read my timing chain thread. Just having that break took $1,000 in parts. GM service is going to rape you if they have to tear into the engine. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Timing chain is fine and yea GM wanted 1500-1700 if it was a head gasket but ran it with the radiator cap off and only hot air was coming from the upper hose making the coolant boil so I'm going to see if its the water pump and go ahead and replace it with an edelbrock high performance one and see if that works. If not then I'm going to go ahead and tear the motor down and put in a cam and machine the h re ads

1 - 3 of 3 Posts