Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question as to what might be causing some overheating in my 2005 GTO.

99% of the time my car runs normal. I see a heating problem at idle sometimes, stuck in traffic, drive through, long red light. This is intermittent it doesn't do it all the time only occasionally

I do hear the fan come on but it has no effect but I can easily cool the motor by reving it up almost immediately once the motor has some RPM's I can see that the thermostat opens and the needle drops to a normal temp.

Im thinking its the water pump going out in a weird way. I would think it would just fail but it seems that sometimes it only fails to pump at low RMP. or the thermostat sticks and fails to open unless there is high pressure from the water pump?

any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I would try a thermostat first, cheaper and with the age not a bad idea anyway. Also easy enough to do as a test. Pumps normally leak if they are going out, but not always. Could also be the radiator if it is clogged up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this problem and started by replacing my thermostat. It turned out to be my water pump. At first, pressure testing didn't reveal anything, and I could mostly drive my car fine.

Then one day (weeks later), I lost all my coolant and couldn't get anywhere at all. When pressure testing, the water pump just spewed water right out. Are you losing coolant? I'd start with a pressure test.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts