Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered from R.A.R.E. ceramic coated 68-72 oversized Ram Air III exhaust. I currently have hooker competition headers that run to 3" exhaust.

They do sell part number SSP-30 for connecting to a 3" system. Is this the best option?

They also offer ceramic coatings as an option on part SSP-30, are there any special consideration for welding on ceramic coating?

Thanks,

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
A 3" system is less effective at scavenging the exhaust gasses than a 2 1/2" system unless you are putting out 550 HP or more. I would recommend a dual 2.5" system with a cross-over pipe.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
:agree No need for that size exhaust on a N/A engine unless you are over 500 or so cu in. Why run 3" exhaust anyway if you are going to blow through cast iron manifolds?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info

The previous owner put 3" exhaust and headers on the vehicle. The headers leak and are a pain to work with so I decided to go with the oversized factory style exhaust.

I can replace the remaining exhaust system for about $600.

They do sell a SHP-6 2.5" Short Mandrel Headpipe for $99

Can I use the 2.5 head pipe and fabricate a connection to my existing 3" system?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
They do sell neck down sections you could splice in to connect your existing exhaust system. Maybe inquire with the vendor before you order to see if they can hook you up so it's all ready to bolt on.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
You'll have to grind the ceramic coating off to weld. Maybe have RARE weld on some flanges so you can bolt on. Or use clamps.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Parts should be here Saturday. Went with the 2.5 inch pipes going back to the cross member will use a reducer to connect the 2.5 inch pipes to the 3 inch exhaust system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts