Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ended up at a light and there is a Roush P-51. The guy saw me checking out his car so he rev's it. I could hear the supercharger whine. It sounded pretty good.

We had a couple cars in front of us so there wasn't much opportunity. He jumped on it a couple times. I hit it once, both of us with short less than a second blasts.

A bit down the road we ended up at a red light with pole position. We were a ways out of town now so there wasn't any traffic except behind us. We both had struggled to stop for the yellow light to get pole position. LOL

Long and short of it. The light turned green and I got a smallish half car advantage on the launch. By 60 he evened the score and I started thinking oh no. By 100 he was almost a half car ahead but had stopped pulling. By 120 aerodynamics took over and the lead changed hands again. I shut down at 135 with a my back bumper and his front bumper equal.

Could have been anybody's race. I got the nod on this one and the rematch didn't go nearly as good for him. I think he heated things up too much with the first run cause it was a fairly close run from 50-100 with me slowly edging him out then by 120 I had 2-1/2 cars on him and I shut it down.

I just looked the car up and it's got 510 hp. Couldn't find a road test. They cost $65,000 plus. For that money I'm buying a C6 Z06.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Nice kill.
For $65K you could have a nice used C6 Z06 easy, with change to spare. To each his own I guess, some are Mustang/Ford lovers just like I'm a GM person.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Excellent kill. I don't know about those Roush and Salleen cars. Most of the ones I've seen are just body kits, maybe a cold air intake and loud ass exhaust or something. There is a Salleen convertible at my work that has a plain Jane 281 under the hood. It takes the specialness out of those cars to know that there are so many on the road that are all show and no go. That's part of the reason I love the GTOs so much over the Rustang, Challengers, and Camaros. Pontiac never got stupid and made a V6 version of the car like everybody else does.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent kill. I don't know about those Roush and Salleen cars. Most of the ones I've seen are just body kits, maybe a cold air intake and loud ass exhaust or something. There is a Salleen convertible at my work that has a plain Jane 281 under the hood. It takes the specialness out of those cars to know that there are so many on the road that are all show and no go. That's part of the reason I love the GTOs so much over the Rustang, Challengers, and Camaros. Pontiac never got stupid and made a V6 version of the car like everybody else does.
I guess you've never seen a Cadilac Catera........... oh wait you said Pontiac. Ok I know you're right. :rofl::cheers

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Roush and Saleen cars is offered in stages you can get just a body kit version to a wild street version. You can even get track cars too.

GM/Pontiac kept to the original design of the GTO, the first factory muscle car never was offered in a V6. The pony cars were offered in V6's so thats why they still have V6's.

·
Registered
86 Posts
:agree ive said this time and time again to every ****stain owner that looks at me funny when I say I bought a GTO :shutme

·
Registered
377 Posts
Nice kill. I wonder if gearing was coming into play more so than aero at 120-135mph?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Nice, and I agree with the other comments.

So a guy that's in my lab at work owns an 89 MustangGT. He tells me one day, "You should have bought a Mustang man, way cheaper and you'll just spend your whole life chasing them."
My response, "Your right dude, things do get pricey for the Goat, but chasing them my whole life? Of course I will, have you seen how many of those things are on the road?!? When I blow by one I'll just have another sitting in front of me waiting for me to blow by!!!" The whole lab ate it up :)
In short, Mustangs aren't rare, they're like @$$holes...everybody's got one. Hell, I think the neighbor kid has a pink PowerWheels version.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Nice kill.
For $65K you could have a nice used C6 Z06 easy, with change to spare. To each his own I guess, some are Mustang/Ford lovers just like I'm a GM person.
That's true. Or a backseat. For instance if I could get away with a coupe for work I would, but a Vette would be frowned on. A Mustang, not as bad. Now granted this would be at $30k, not $65k.

What kind of rebates are offered on those Rousch cars? They tend to sit for a while unless the P51 probably is only ordered per customer.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
That's true. Or a backseat. For instance if I could get away with a coupe for work I would, but a Vette would be frowned on. A Mustang, not as bad. Now granted this would be at $30k, not $65k.

What kind of rebates are offered on those Rousch cars? They tend to sit for a while unless the P51 probably is only ordered per customer.
The backseat song and dance is over used and is stupid. Not toward you. Porsches have backseats too. Are they useable not really, I grew up around Mustangs and owned a F-body. I'm not very tall or big and I have a hard time back there. I used the useable backset on my wife to butter her up to buy the GTO, witch has more backseat room than a Mustang. Maybe twice I had full sized adults sit back there. Thats why I have a G8.

I've never seen rebates on any of Roushe's cars, everytime I poke me head in a Ford dealership. I've allways see that extra piece of paper that stuck on the side of the widow sticker the "bend over and take it" one. That adds over $10K to the sticker price. I like it when I see guys post up "well I got mine for sitcker or under invoice". That may or may not be true I have no idea but its few and far between.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I agree about the usefullness, but sometimes it's about appearances.

However, when you have a dog, a gym bag, for your GF's drunk gilrfriends, etc. it's a lot better than the hatch. Maybe those Mustang guys are on to something... :)

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
I agree about the usefullness, but sometimes it's about appearances.

However, when you have a dog, a gym bag, for your GF's drunk gilrfriends, etc. it's a lot better than the hatch. Maybe those Mustang guys are on to something... :)
:lol:
I don't know man. The Corvette has a pretty big hatch, it tends to win it over on exotics:) You have to lay them down back there:eek:

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:lol:
I don't know man. The Corvette has a pretty big hatch, it tends to win it over on exotics:) You have to lay them down back there:eek:
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about with this hatch thing??????

My Vette's got a nice big trunk. Kinda like J-Lo know what I mean.

I agree with you on the backseat thing. When I had the GTO it was partly because it had the backseat and was more usefull. I think someone sat back there twice in 9 months of ownership. The C6 had a tree for my yard in it. and carried 10 foot sticks of PVC pipe by going into the footwell and bending them slightly. I've had some different things in the C5 Z06 too, but the hatch is great.

My Fox body Mustangs were great with their hatches too. I like hatchback cars. I'm probably the only American male tht would ever admit that, but they are usefull.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about with this hatch thing??????
I don't know Ferg, you confused me now.
My Vette's got a nice big trunk. Kinda like J-Lo know what I mean.

I agree with you on the backseat thing. When I had the GTO it was partly because it had the backseat and was more usefull. I think someone sat back there twice in 9 months of ownership. The C6 had a tree for my yard in it. and carried 10 foot sticks of PVC pipe by going into the footwell and bending them slightly. I've had some different things in the C5 Z06 too, but the hatch is great.

My Fox body Mustangs were great with their hatches too. I like hatchback cars. I'm probably the only American male tht would ever admit that, but they are usefull.
Humm, I'm not big on hatch cars except F-bodies. I like the notch Fox bodies better than the hatch. I know what you mean about the hatch Fox's my friend has a 84 GT Turbo Mustang.

·
Registered
81 Posts
That's damn funny! Like my Daughters boyfriend who has a hopped Jetta. Took him for a ride in my 67 GTO and he nearly crapped his pants. All his buddies have vw's.

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
That's damn funny! Like my Daughters boyfriend who has a hopped Jetta. Took him for a ride in my 67 GTO and he nearly crapped his pants. All his buddies have vw's.
The NAPA delivery kid here drives a v-6 Integra he keeps talking about is the greatest thing and is planning on souping up. Gave him a ride in the `65 with the same results as you! :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts