Pontiac GTO Forum banner

P.I.T.A. stereo upgrade

4K views 14 replies 2 participants last post by  Vedli 
#1 ·
well i got the speakers and amp upgraded..what a pain in the ass..took a 12 hour day to get it done..you have to pull the rear seat, side panels ,door panels, and 50% of the console,along with the head unit !!!!! speakers arent broken in yet put sound sooooooo much better..also you need a good amp to read the extreemly crappy signal from the head unit..my coustic amp WOULDNOT work..had to step up to a JL amp and tweak the the "line in" inputs....any questions shoot me a e mail or pm {it will save you all the mistakes i made}...later :cheers

#2 ·
It makes me a bit glad I didn't try to do it myself. My whole system sounds like crap now though, I don't think they hooked up the amp or sub. Whenever I finish doing my performance/handling/appearance modifications, I will replace all the speakers and get things working properly. Currently, I have the Pioneer DVD-5700 with the AVIC Performance Computer in the car. It's pretty cool. It's not reading my RPMs right, but it's got the speed, direction, latitude/longitude and everything else pretty much dead-on. The horsepower/torque readings are a bit screwy, but that's to be expected I guess. As much as I would LOVE to have 700 ft/lb of torque, I don't.

G
#4 ·
yalp im running all stock except rockford amp, rockford sub controller, and a box with 2 rockford 10s ... I love it... just gotta figure out how to stop the trunk rattle ... :willy: :party: ... no its not the plate either lol

#5 ·
Yep, I got charged about $320 to put in my DVD player and the AVIC. Expensive, but these guys normally don't mess stuff up, however, they've gotten a few new workers lately, and they DO screw stuff up. Looks like I'll be finding yet ANOTHER stereo shop.

#6 ·
if you have the new head unit in ...it has RCAs, all you have to do is run the speaker wires from the new amp to speaker locations and just plug and play...you will have to take apart the interior to do this but its a well built interior.. it had alot of screws, {not all plastic clips that break} so you wont be running all over to get new clips.... :cheers

#7 ·
Vedli said:
yalp im running all stock except rockford amp, rockford sub controller, and a box with 2 rockford 10s ... I love it... just gotta figure out how to stop the trunk rattle ... :willy: :party: ... no its not the plate either lol

i cant belive the stock speakers could keep up with the subs????

G
#8 · (Edited)
flht3 said:
i cant belive the stock speakers could keep up with the subs????
Hell ya its pretty pimp... amp is about 1k watts.. and got the comp 10's in a solid 50 pound box LOL.... "maybe not that heavy but"... it pounds .. what it is .. is the bass is turned down on the deck... amp gain is raised and tuned.. also got the bass boost controller under the deck .. all tuned perfictly...but can be adjusted for more or less bass..

the stock stuff is pretty much just play mids/highs .. and the box is bass only cus the amp has a pimped Xover... so the setup can totally handle =).. except for the crazy azz rattling LOL... Ill take some pics tomorrow and post um... also had to make a custom board for the trunk .. and bolt the box onto it .. so when I go racing the box doesnt fly all over the place .. :willy: :party:

G
#9 ·
you see, what kills stock speakers is the bass frequency. If you have a crossover of some sort on them, they can handle a LOT of power, or as little as 5 watts. The higher frequencies travel farther than the low ones so thats why a system will sound "cleaner" with crossovers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.