Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Y’all
Finally getting to my project. The package shelf is pretty much toast. Any ideas on where to buy a new one or a good cut out from a junk yard?
Thanks
Perry

·
Super Moderator
5,868 Posts
If you're not that worried about 100% original, you can make one pretty easily. That's what I did on my '69. I used the old one as a template, cut a new one out of a thin piece of masonite, added oval cutouts for the rear sound system speakers I'm using, then covered the whole thing in a relatively fine mesh black speaker grille cloth. It looks very good.

Bear

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I need to be more specific. What I need is the metal that creates the package shelf along with the bracing down to the floorpan. The big Sheetmetal Sellers don’t have a replacement. I was also wondering if the metal package shelf from a 1967 Chevelle would work?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I need to be more specific. What I need is the metal that creates the package shelf along with the bracing down to the floorpan. The big Sheetmetal Sellers don’t have a replacement. I was also wondering if the metal package shelf from a 1967 Chevelle would work?
Had this issue with a 69 gto a few years ago. If nothing has changed which I don't think it has you will not find a direct replacement . Just not made for gto . Why I don't know. But I can tell you the Chevelle is snd is very close and are sold . Best luck . Finding a used good one is like finding a neddle in a hay stack Doug

·
Registered
186 Posts
Had this issue with a 69 gto a few years ago. If nothing has changed which I don't think it has you will not find a direct replacement . Just not made for gto . Why I don't know. But I can tell you the Chevelle is snd is very close and are sold . Best luck . Finding a used good one is like finding a neddle in a hay stack Doug
Sorry thought this would be a good start for you. Like I said not the same but it gives you a good start . https://www.summitracing.com/parts/amd-640-3468/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. I have talked to all the junkyards that sell Pontiac parts. So far no luck. I might try Doug’s idea and modify the 67 Chevelle package tray. I’m still open to any and all ideas out there. Thanks again, Perry

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I have talked to all the junkyards that sell Pontiac parts. So far no luck. I might try Doug’s idea and modify the 67 Chevelle package tray. I’m still open to any and all ideas out there. Thanks again, Perry
I search every where when we did the 69. They are just not out there or you will find it's as bad as yours or worse . Once in you can't see it except getting in trunk and looking at it . Unless your doing a # 1 Concourse car the Chevelle is the fix and many have used . Good luck Doug

·
Registered
5 Posts
66, 67 Package tray

Hello
< I used a package tray for a 66 chevelle, Is about 6 inches shorter so I spliced it from the trunk hinge brackets forward, and backwards to the trunk opening lip. Just splice in what you need and grind and treat the rest. Yes Im a Bad A--!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts