Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey 05GTO,

I saw the paint booth you built for your 66 - very nice. Can you give me the specifics on what you used for air flow how it was setup? I am doing something similar in my garage. If you have any pictures you can share, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
I used hvac filters on the back top sides of the booth to create a downdraft, I used 4 filters on each side and used 3 on the front of the booth for the exhaust. I had the roll up plastic door weighted with 2-2x4s next to the exhaust so if any dust or dirt was sucked in it would immediately be pulled into the exhaust filter. I used a squirrel cage type hvac fan to prohibit the explosive gases from being ignited. Next to the plywood door I built a box and connected a 8" flexible duct which was 12 foot long so I could place the fan outside. I don't have any pictures of how the fan was connected, I'll post pictures of the fan later to give you an idea.

On this picture you can see the seal on the plastic next to the opening, you can also see the vacuum pulling the plastic inward.

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Having a shop that size would be sooo freakin awesome!!! I painted mine in a 24'x24' garage. I put a couple of furnace filters in the open front window, opened the big door slightly and put box fans blowing out at the corners at the floor, blocked the center of the big door with a big sheet of paper. Used the sheets of paper on the walls to cover my shop stuff along the sides and front, covered the floor with water, and went to town painting. Only three verry small specs of dirt in the whole paint job. Admittidly though, I'd give my left nut for Randy's work shed! :eek:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paint Booth - 05GTO

Thanks for the info - I like your setup. Hope to start painting within the next 3 or so months. Gotta a pretty big Christmas display to setup, so I may have to wait until Jan. I'll keep you updated.

Andy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts