Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Car is in for body work! Yes! Now I'm confused all over again. It must be the "blonde" thing...:rofl: I looked online and at the body guy's book for paint samples and there wasn't a Starlight Black Pontiac Chip there. Was this a stock Pontiac color and for what year? Now after looking, I kind of like the Plum Mist color. It looks almost black, but how would it look with redlines?

Can't make up my mind blondie67

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay....

Thanks Randy for the pics. I have been looking on Ultimate GTO all day to determine the color. I really like the black but without the pinstripe. I know there was a starlight black for 67 but couldn't find the swatch in the GM book. I did however find it online and the code for the paint was 9300. Is Starlight Black a Metallic black or just flat?

Thanks
Linda

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Linda----Starlight Black is just a deep, non-metallic jet black. No grey or blue in it....just BLACK. I think it looks great. But, any on the dark colors like plum mist, burgundy, blue, green, etc. would look great on a '67 and help show off the chrome, etc. If I redid my burgundy convt. again, I'd probably go black! (I am not fond of metallic blacks, or pearl whites.....dunno why). Give it a little rest, and look at more shots on the Ultimate site. You'll figure it out. Anything but yech champagne!!!
Jeff Usedtobegoldbutnowitsburgundy67

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
I've got no clear on mine: they're both just plain paint. The '67's paint is 15 years old, and the'65's is 23 years old. I don't like clear coated finishes because the clear peels and there's nothing you can do about it but a complete refinish. A real problem here in CA. Up in WA, much less of one. I'm ICAR certified, so I know better: the new clear-coat base coat finishes are supposedly the best stuff going for durability, shine, etc. Me, I just don't care for the super-shiny, non-original look of the clearcoated cars. They didn't look that way when new. (then again, they all looked kinda dull after 5 years or so if they were laquer) Linda: the combined thickness of the paint on new cars is about 4 to 6 mils. You don't want less than 2 mils on the clear. You basically have 2 mils primer, 2 color, and 2 of clear. The new clear is like a sunblock, itis actually a UV protectant for the paint. Get on line, check out I-CAR or other body/paint websites, etc, if you want to learn more. Insist on the best materials.....they only cost a little more, but will last several times longer. Remember, the big money and effort is in the prep-work. Good luck!
Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts