Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - Ive been surfing this forum over the weekend because Im trying to decide between a Pontiac GTO and GXP (obviously were not really comparing apples to apples here).

Id buy the GTO in a second, but the stories re: paint issues has me spooked. Are these issues as serious as they seem, or have most of you had good luck with your finishes?

·
Registered
937 Posts
jjfrehe said:
Hi all - Ive been surfing this forum over the weekend because Im trying to decide between a Pontiac GTO and GXP (obviously were not really comparing apples to apples here).

Id buy the GTO in a second, but the stories re: paint issues has me spooked. Are these issues as serious as they seem, or have most of you had good luck with your finishes?
Paint Defects? My car is flawless, since I have been on this forum I have only read 1 thread where someones paint may have been damaged by overspray and there was speculation that it wasnt from the factory like that. Dont be spooked by paint issues, you will inspect the vehicle before you buy it anyway.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I've been reading other people's complaints about frequent chipping of the front bumper and hood, "thin paint" in some areas, marks on the paint (on the rocker panels underneath the doors) and peeling paint (again, on the rocker panels underneath the doors).

I just don't think any of these posts are indicative of an ongoing problem with the quality of the paint on these cars. In fact, I'd say, based on experience, that this car has an excellent paint job.

I color sanded mine from stem to stern -- and all the horizontal surfaces really didn't need much of it as both the paint and clearcoat were quite smooth. The sides? They needed a little, but any mass produced car does. The fact large areas of it were so good should tell you something about the quality of the application.

Frequent chipping of the front bumper and hood: Your new car got hit by a rock and the paint chipped. Big deal. The rates of chipping are going up because our roads are getting really bad. That's not a car problem.

"Thin paint" in some areas: Never seen a picture of it. With computerized paint application -- I doubt this is a legitimate complaint.

Marks on the paint (on the rocker panels underneath the doors): Never seen a picture. Might be shipping related scuffs. The people who have reported it have only noticed it once they got on their hands and knees. If it's that subtle, it might even be oxidation from sitting outside. Nobody's ever hit this with a clay bar or other cleaner -- they just go online and post a complaint. Don't think that's a big problem.

Peeling paint (again, on the rocker panels underneath the doors): Again, no pictures. Since this is occuring on the underside of the car, the paint surface may have been damaged by hitting something.

Overall, I wouldn't worry about the paint issue much. $3 a gallon gas? That's a problem. Bad paint? Don't sweat it -- but always carefully inspect your car, even underneath it, before signing off on the deal.

·
Registered
674 Posts
got a few dirt spots under the paint. got a nasty chip on the hood where it meets the grille, got a little paint peeling on the front fender in the front most part over the headlight at the break where the metal bends by the hood.

but i dont care about those things or my daughter climbing on the seats since the car is leased!!! :) :)

at least the paint doesnt have big runs on the gas cap and around the license plates like the aurora.

·
Registered
224 Posts
well the overspray on my gto is just that "overspray" and will come right off other than that the paint is great im very happy with it, even though i got my very first hood chip yeaterday :willy: and got behind a brand new chevy taho with dealer tags, ya know the ones thay stick on with magnets, the dude hits a pot hole i guess trying out the z71 suspension and the plate falls off and i ran over it, put a scratch on the lower ground effect i followed him back to the dealer and told HER she left her tags back at the pot hole and i smiled and left didn't know about the scratch till i got home
:confused

·
Registered
20 Posts
My entire rocker panel on the passenger's side has peeled off. It came off in flakes. The term I've heard for it is delamination. The only good point is that underneath of the paint, the plastic is black so it doesn't show with my car being black. I'll have it painted as soon as I have time to take it in.

Note: knowing this would happen would not have stopped me from buying the goat! I love this car!

·
Registered
233 Posts
The paint on mine has held up well. I have had a couple of minor chips, The roads in my area are all torn up. The chips though have been minor enough to just touch up.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My Torrid Red goat had some chipping around the front bumper and the hood was easily chipped by stones. Changed to a banchee hood and PPG paint and have had no other problems. My wife's Impulse blue goat is another story. There were numerous blemishes in the paint and the hood also chipped easily. Same solution for the hood, but had to fight with GM area rep to get the rest taken care of. They care is great now though.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
dvillar said:
As a dealer you should know that there is a technical bulletin out for the front fascia and rear vallance. ;)
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check mine for these defects!

Make : PONTIAC Model : GTO Year : 2005
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Service Bulletin Num : 050851001 Date of Bulletin: MAR 01, 2005
NHTSA Item Number: 10015029
Component: STRUCTURE:BODY
Summary:
PAINT STAIN UNDER PROTECTIVE SHIPPING FILM. *TT
Check to Request Research. Submit below.

Make : PONTIAC Model : GTO Year : 2005
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Service Bulletin Num : 09072004 Date of Bulletin: SEP 07, 2004
NHTSA Item Number: 10013191
Component: STRUCTURE:BODY
Summary:
PAINT PEELING FROM THE FRONT OR REAR FASCIAS. *EH

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.