Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Does anyone know what paint or finish coating would be used to repaint the very top of the dash between the dash panel and the windshield. I have all of the glass out of my 65 and it is now in the paint shop. The top of the dash needs to be redone especially since it is accessible. My body and paint man said he thinks it would be some kind of Matte Finish. He mentioned something about a product I believe he referred to as a trim type paint. Or, could it be just regular low gloss black paint. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Just repainted my 65 dash (same area that you are referring) to replicate the original, closest we could come up with was a 60 degree gloss black. An acquaintance of mine who is the original owner of his 65 had to repaint his dash. His original dash actually had a very fine textured black low sheen finish.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
It is indeed a 0 gloss (flat) finish for the purpose of no glare. I had the correct shade of blue mixed up in 0% gloss when I did the window channel on my '65 in 1984. If it's a black dash, really easy: a rattle can of flat black and you're in business.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Timmy,

I recently painted the upper dash in my '64 with a maroon interior. I had to have the color custom tinted at a local paint shop to get the right maroon. The sheen is near matte to reduce glare. I used a single stage urethane paint from PPG. Just one of many ways to get it done with good results....

-Thor

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Dont use rattle can, if its restoration it is a flat finish, but I painted mine same as my body color( base coat clear coat) The "glare" problem is non-existent I only get blinded when the sun hits the chrome wiper arms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts